Search - User list
Full Version: shortcut for "Auto Update" and "Manual update
Root » Houdini Lounge » shortcut for "Auto Update" and "Manual update
kursad
Hi

Is there a shortcut for toggling between these 2 modes?

Also is there a shortcut to force recooking?

thanks
archie
Hi, kursad!
1)You can create the simple script for toggle between “Auto Update” and “Manual update”, for example:
import hou
mode = hou.updateModeSetting().name()
if mode == ‘AutoUpdate’:
hou.setUpdateMode(hou.updateMode.Manual)
if mode == ‘Manual’:
hou.setUpdateMode(hou.updateMode.AutoUpdate)
After then you should create a tool in the your custom shelf and put the script over there. Also you will see folder “Hotkeys” and you can assign hotkey.

2)There is two way to assign hotkey for the recooking. The first way is global method: Hotkey Manager → Houdini → Force Update. In this case you will override modes like that “Auto Update”, “Manual update” and “On mouse up”. The second way is the simple script for selected nodes (It'll work only for “Auto Update”). That script you can also put in the your tool on the shelf.
import hou
nodes = hou.selectedNodes()

kursad
Thanks archie, this is great tip.
tiredfx
Hotkeys an be set here,

From the Edit/Hotkeys…

/Houdini/Update Mode ‘Always’

/Houdini/Update Mode ‘Changes’

/Houdini/Update Mode ‘Never’
Adriano
archie
Hi, kursad!
1)You can create the simple script for toggle between "Auto Update" and "Manual update", for example:
import hou
if mode == 'AutoUpdate':
if mode == 'Manual':
After then you should create a tool in the your custom shelf and put the script over there. Also you will see folder "Hotkeys" and you can assign hotkey.

2)There is two way to assign hotkey for the recooking. The first way is global method: Hotkey Manager → Houdini → Force Update. In this case you will override modes like that "Auto Update", "Manual update" and "On mouse up". The second way is the simple script for selected nodes (It'll work only for "Auto Update"). That script you can also put in the your tool on the shelf.
import hou
nodes = hou.selectedNodes()

Any chance you could share the updafted code for this gem please? This seems to be outdated. Tried to drop it in Houdini 19 and i'm getting a syntax error.

Cheers,

A.
shadesoforange
It works fine for me if you take care of proper intendation.

import hou
if mode == 'AutoUpdate':
if mode == 'Manual':
shadesoforange
On a similar note; this script lets you toggle between enabling/disabling simulations:
if hou.simulationEnabled() == 0:
    hou.setSimulationEnabled(1)
else:
    hou.setSimulationEnabled(0)
Zef
shadesoforange
It works fine for me if you take care of proper intendation.

import hou
if mode == 'AutoUpdate':
if mode == 'Manual':

Nice!
Does anyone have a preferred or recommended shortcut for this toggle? (i.e. semi-standard or common)
animatrix_
I use . / Auto/Manual toggle and . for Force Update action so I can explicitly decide when to cook.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.