clip sop different in 6.1?

4081   5   0
412 posts
I've moved to using 6.1 now and i am encountering a problem with the clip sop. My setup includes starting off with bringing a bgeo in via file sop. I then clip the base model in half, do a bunch of editing and detail modeling and mirror back over.

This all has been working great in 6, but as of today and using 6.1, that first clip sop is not working the same as before and thus changing all the later editing and alterations for detail in to a mess. I have tried other methods. such as having the clip sop only output above and below groups. Converting them to point groups via group sop and then using delete sop to get rid of the appropriate group. I've even just tried making a group based on selection and deleting them. All these methods end up screwing the model in the end big time because of pt number changes.

So why is the clip sop acting so different now? Am i doing something wrong here? Here are some images to explain whats going on:

Houdini 6 clip sop: all nice and pretty…

Houdini 6.1 clip sop: not so nice and pretty…

And finally, what my used to be full featured baby is now….

Any help is appreciated… Thanks guys..

Dave
Dave Quirus
276 posts
Hi deecue – any chance you can post the bgeo file somewhere?

Thanks
George.
412 posts
sure, no problem.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/daquirus/stage1.bgeo [mywebpages.comcast.net]

just some background information if it will help..

it was modeled with metaballs and converted via convertmeta sop. then exported as bgeo. brought the bgeo in and clipped it. deleted bad points existing from the convert.. then continued modeling.

so the clip does occur before the bad/non-logical points were deleted in case that has to do with anything.

what i have done for now is exported a bgeo of the model after being clipped in 6 and then bringing that file in 6.1. That works just fine. I can mirror it, clip it again, etc as much as i want then.

thanks george,

dave
Dave Quirus
276 posts
Thanks deecue. I can certainly reproduce the problem. It seems that the polygons that are left behind are the degenerate polygons. If you append a Facet SOP and remove degenerate polys before you do the clip it should work again. Though that step shouldn't be necessary of course and we're looking what happened to cause this behaviour.

Thanks very much for reporting this.

Take care,
George.
276 posts
This bug should be fixed in the next 6.1 release.
412 posts
awesome.. good job guys…
Dave Quirus
  • Quick Links