Secondary GI cache in mantra rop in Houdini 11

11727   9   2
36 posts
Hello,

I've been trying to setup diffuse secondary lighting / global illumination in Houdini 11, following the instructions in the “view-dependent photon maps” section here:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/rendering/pbr [sidefx.com]

It refers to “Primary GI Cache” and “Secondary GI Cache” parms in the Properties > PBR subtab of the mantra rop. Although I see these parms in Houdini 10, they appear to be removed in Houdini 11, nor are they in the “For Rendering” add-able parms in the Edit Parameter Interface window. Has this aspect of the the GI system changed for Houdini 11?

Thanks,

Jeremy.
192 posts
i believe this workflow is made obsolete by the indirect light in h11:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/nodes/obj/indirectlight [sidefx.com]
36 posts
Looks like you're right, I'll check it out, thanks!
88 posts
brianBurke
i believe this workflow is made obsolete by the indirect light in h11:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/nodes/obj/indirectlight [sidefx.com]

Hi

How do we save the photon map(outside of automatically creating it) in H11? Is creating and saving Photon map ability removed?

thanks
1533 posts
hopefully by version 12 of houdini SESI would have updated their mantra docs…
j
HOD fx and lighting @ blackginger
https://vimeo.com/jasonslabber [vimeo.com]
1390 posts
kursad
How do we save the photon map(outside of automatically creating it) in H11? Is creating and saving Photon map ability removed?

You setup a scene as usual with GI Light (aka Indirect Light*) but disable “Create Image from Viewing Camera” on a Render Tab of Mantra ROP. Alternatively, change rendering type of the ROP to “Photon Map Generation”. Both ways generate photons as a pre pass.

skk.

* - long tradition of naming the same thing many times in Houdini.
88 posts
SYmek
kursad

You setup a scene as usual with GI Light (aka Indirect Light*) but disable “Create Image from Viewing Camera” on a Render Tab of Mantra ROP. Alternatively, change rendering type of the ROP to “Photon Map Generation”. Both ways generate photons as a pre pass.

skk.

* - long tradition of naming the same thing many times in Houdini.

SYmek

Thanks for the tip. I totally missed the “create image from viewing camera”.

The other thing is that, according to the docs about the photon map generation render engine it says that “the photon map file to be generated is specified on the PBR tab”. However there is no file option under the PBR that. That actually made me think that ability to save photon cache directly was removed. So I assume this is just a help line mistake that is a legacy from the past version.
1390 posts
kursad
The other thing is that, according to the docs about the photon map generation render engine it says that “the photon map file to be generated is specified on the PBR tab”. However there is no file option under the PBR that.

Indeed, if so, report sesi this mistake. Photon maps belongs to GILights from some time.

It's quite a setup btw, as it seems that all photon related stuff is performed in vex as a point cloud job in photon tracer, which is totally awesome idea, making all of this very flexible.
1 posts
SYmek
kursad
The other thing is that, according to the docs about the photon map generation render engine it says that “the photon map file to be generated is specified on the PBR tab”. However there is no file option under the PBR that.

Indeed, if so, report sesi this mistake. Photon maps belongs to GILights from some time.

It's quite a setup btw, as it seems that all photon related stuff is performed in vex as a point cloud job in photon tracer, which is totally awesome idea, making all of this very flexible.

Hello sir,

Where can i find Photon related nodes in Houdini 11. Sorry for raw question.
I don't find online help also related to photon in VEX Contexts.

I know lighting work flow has been changed in houdini 11.. But where can i find photon related nodes in houdini… Even in indirectlight( newly added in houdini11) no photon node is found in network editor.

not able to access this link
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.1/vex/contexts/photon [sidefx.com]

Thanks
-Prabu
1390 posts
prabugraphics
Where can i find Photon related nodes in Houdini 11. Sorry for raw question.
I don't find online help also related to photon in VEX Contexts.

Because as to Houdini 11.1, photons VEX context doesn't exists anymore.
Photons are handled by a fog shader called “v_photontracer”, which you can see in Shops. It is supposed to be invoked only while Mantra runs in “Photon Map Generaton”. Add Photon Tracer Shop, then RMB->Type Properties -> Code Tab, and you will see what's going on under the hood.

hth,
skk.
  • Quick Links