Search - User list
Full Version: Particles that won't die
Root » Technical Discussion » Particles that won't die
Henster
This has probably been covered before, but I couldn't find it…

1) You set particles growing..
2) Then you set the kill pop to kill everything..
3) yet the ones that are birthed in that frame are still there.

I suppose it makes sense that you can't make something and destroy it at exactly the same time, but its still weird.

And in my case, annoying since they are getting in the way. Does anyone know how to at least hide them?
Antoine Durr
Henster
This has probably been covered before, but I couldn't find it…

1) You set particles growing..
2) Then you set the kill pop to kill everything..
3) yet the ones that are birthed in that frame are still there.

I suppose it makes sense that you can't make something and destroy it at exactly the same time, but its still weird.

And in my case, annoying since they are getting in the way. Does anyone know how to at least hide them?

Yes. You have to look at the pstate value. ‘pstate’ is a bit vector, where each bit stands for part of the state of the particle. Some state items are ‘killed’, ‘stuck’, ‘born’, etc. Many POPs will actually skip processing your particle if the killed bit is on, or a force POP will skip processing your particle if it knows it's stuck to a surface, etc.

Look at what particles are still there, and in SOPs, delete them if their pstate is that particular value (I don't know the exact value offhand).

This also gets in to the issue of the order of birthing, dieing, and reaping of particles – stuff that POPs hides, but can get really in the way in cases like this.

– Antoine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.