Search - User list
Full Version: joys of i3d
Root » Technical Discussion » joys of i3d
the_squid
i3d smoke is pretty darn cool. My only beef with it is the “motion blur.” There's an option when you write out the i3d texture to apply a motion blur. For a while I thought it just plain didnt work.. now I'm finding it does work, just not the way I want it to.

The motion blur option seems to just take the velocity of a point and then use that to effect parameters within the VEX coding for metaball scale and i3d noise. So if you have a lot of “x” velocity for example, it might stretch out your metaballs and stretch out the texture in X to fake the look of motion blur. In my case I need to motion blur about 400 metaballs being sucked into a vaccuum, basically collapsing on themselves. i3d blur doesnt handle this so well.

Anybody have any suggestions? Anybody understand i3d textures enough to point me in a better direction? Is my search for real motion blur within i3d smoke in vain?

…Dan

(I always have the option to go back and make my smoke the old fashioned way…. but i3d smoke is ideal for the effect I'm attempting to create.)
leo3d
you can see some info about img3d on here
http://odforce.net/tips/i3d_intro_page1.php [odforce.net]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.