Object part splitting?

6176   3   2
1 posts
Hi! I´m new here, and I´m also new to Houdini. Coming from a bunch of other applications I know the workflows from there. But things are not what I´m used to in Houdini. I´ve been modelling an object in Silo containing several parts and exported it to obj. In Houdini the model is in the one and same obj node. How do I split it into seperate parts without selecting the polygons and Modify/Extract in the shelf?

Daniel
257 posts
Hello,

i usually have them as separate .obj (taken apart in Maya) then file them in inside Houdini, if there's a better workflow… please share!

eitht.
1906 posts
Does your geometry have groups for each piece? If you have primitive groups for each piece you could use this tool:

http://houdinitoolbox.com/houdini.php?asset=25 [houdinitoolbox.com]

It takes a geometry object and extracts each primitive group to a separate geometry container. Since it uses groups, if your source geometry is updated the updates should propagate to the extracted geometry unless group names are changing.

You could also use the Connectivity/Partition combination to generate a primitive group for each unique piece of geometry. If your input geometry changes however, there's no guarantee that the generated groups will be the same as they were before.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
2 posts
graham
Does your geometry have groups for each piece? If you have primitive groups for each piece you could use this tool:

http://houdinitoolbox.com/houdini.php?asset=25 [houdinitoolbox.com]

It takes a geometry object and extracts each primitive group to a separate geometry container. Since it uses groups, if your source geometry is updated the updates should propagate to the extracted geometry unless group names are changing.

You could also use the Connectivity/Partition combination to generate a primitive group for each unique piece of geometry. If your input geometry changes however, there's no guarantee that the generated groups will be the same as they were before.

Does this tool still exist in the GitHub folder graham?

Thanks,
Stefan
  • Quick Links