Shading splitted particles doubt

4536   6   1
581 posts
Hi all, i've a particle simulation where i use the Split POP to make a explosion when the initial particles hit a particular surface.
At the end of the network i use a Collect POP to get all the particles in the simulation.
I want to copy a geometry, and shade it, to the initial particles and another geometry , and another shader, to the splitted particles.
Now i can't do this because if i load the simulation in SOP and then copy any geometry, or apply any shader, to the particle system, these new operations are applied to all the simulation, the initial aprticles and the splitted particles, so i have the same geometry in all the particles
Any other ways to get it done????
Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
181 posts
How about assigning groups to your particles at Pop level? The groups are valid at SOP level too
581 posts
i've created groups for the generated particles and for the splitted particles in the Source and Split POP's respectively, i can see the new groups at POP context, but i can't see it at SOP context, so i can't copy geometry to a group of paricles, or assign a shader to my particles groups.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
412 posts
you should be able to..

are you setting the group in the split pop->birth tab->birth group ?

Example File [studentpages.scad.edu]
Dave Quirus
Staff
181 posts
Alternatively, you can set up groups with a group Pop, enable Generation and giving the name of the Pop generating particles (Source pop in one case, Split pop in the other).
Either this way or the one pointed by deecue, you should be able to see the groups at Sop level (middle click in the Sop and you should see the groups)
If that's not the case, maybe you can email me your hip file…
Silvina
581 posts
I've tried your hints but i can't resolve the problem.
Sorry deecue, i'm using houdini 6.0.286, i can't load properly your hip.
For silvina if i can send you the hip file, i'll be very thankfuly with you.
I've create the groups int he sources OP, Sourcee and Split, the groups are bombs and smoke respectively, i can see the groups in the Template Group input in the Copy SOP, i set it to bombs to copy my bombs geo on this particles, but nothing is copied, if don't set th Template Group an copy the geo on all the aprticles the Copy SOP works
If anyone wants to see the hip, please feel fre to send me an email:
pablogipi@inicia.es
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
412 posts
Sorry deecue, i'm using houdini 6.0.286, i can't load properly your hip.

it will probably give you errors and say load failed in the status bar, but should still open fine and maintain everything i did since nothing is new to 6.1.. i just opened it in 6.0.304 and it worked…

(if you hit play, you should see white particles going down and then red ones splitting)

i can see the groups in the Template Group input in the Copy SOP, i set it to bombs to copy my bombs geo on this particles, but nothing is copied,

are you viewing the copy at a frame number where that group of particles would be valid?
Dave Quirus
  • Quick Links