Help using Vex glass shader

4698   6   1
19 posts
Hi Everyone,

I have tried to apply the default VEX glass shader to a sphere with a constant shaded grid in the background. When the scene is rendered, the glass shader appears as a dotted surface. What am i doing wrong? what should i do to achieve a waterdrop like shader?

Any help will be welcome!

thanks
7710 posts
Hmm … not quite sure about your problem as I tried exactly this and it worked. Perhaps the dots are caused by some sort of shadowing?
19 posts
Here is a screen copy of the test scene:
http://hgtai.free.fr/vex_glass.jpg [hgtai.free.fr]

The background colour is just a constant shader applied to a grid surface.
You can see the settings of the glass shader. I can't get rid of the dots like when rendering no matter how i tweak the ray bias or refraction index parameter…
I really don't know what to do… Any clue?
Thanks for your help
4256 posts
Can you provide a link to your hip file?
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
7710 posts
Set your ambient and diffuse colours to 0. Use a default VEX Glass SHOP's parameters and slowly modify from there. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to non-zero values for ambient or diffuse.
4256 posts
I tried the same exact settings with the glass shader and while I got a strange looking surface I didn't get any of those little dots. (Not enough samples?)

jim.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
19 posts
I restarted the scene from scratch… and the dots were gone.
This is a little bit frustrating. It seems that having an ambient and diffuse color different from 0 doesn't generate these weird dots.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time and help.
  • Quick Links