How come OpenGL crash issues on WinXP have not been fixed?

5147   6   0
436 posts
Ever sence I started using Houdini, back in V5, and through 5.5, 6.0, and 6.1. I have had identical problem, reardless of machine spec. After a while, and this happens 100% of time, Houdini's OpenGL will crash and stop drawing. If file is saved after OpenGL malfunction, that file is corrupted. What I do not understand, is why this recurring problem still exists? I have had it on Win2000, WinXP- Pro, running low end nVidia. nVidia Quaddro, FireGL, and now running Wildcat Vp990. Same problem, identical happenings. Just different versions. I don't think I am the only one experiencing this.
Also Houdini really hates Wildcat drivers and dual monitors, or is it vice-versa. Well if its any conselation, Maya hates it even more, and I really dislike Wildcat boards. Their performance matches 64mb GeForce 3 or about that, and that with VP990 with 512mb. Nice goin 3D Labs! Way to go. woohoo Can't wait to see what you have next. Perhaps you can bring it up to FX-5200 performance so your $1000 board can keep up with $100 boards made for Unreal.
710 posts
David, what do you mean by OpenGL crashing? I've been having a problem where after a while of working in SOPs, the viewport will stop working correctly. For example I select some points but when I right-click the transform handle won't come up. Or some SOPs will stop working on highlighted geometry, for example Poly-Knit. Houdini doesn't crash though, I just have to restart it.
And every once in a great while, and at random times in the session, Houdini will freeze, and freeze for good. You can tell because when you look at the task manager it will only be using about 1.5 megs of ram. You have to forcefully exit the app and you do loose work.
I haven't really experienced what you described though with files getting corrupted.
4256 posts
DaJuice
David, what do you mean by OpenGL crashing? I've been having a problem where after a while of working in SOPs, the viewport will stop working correctly. For example I select some points but when I right-click the transform handle won't come up.

Sometimes the state you are in gets kinda confused and won't accept mouse input. (Make a selection and right clicking won't accept.)

A easy work around is to bind a hotkey that does the same thing the Right click would do.

In the Hotkey Manager
/Houdini/Panes/Geometry Viewers/
Bind a key to the “Accept” action.

Mine is bound to Ctrl+Shift a

jim.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
412 posts
or like arctor posted a little while back, TAB TAB seems to fix it as well..
Dave Quirus
4256 posts
Stupid me. I remember saying this before but forgot what forum it was on.
412 posts
meh, i was ready for you to call me a sucker for mentioning the TAB TAB method.. :wink:
Dave Quirus
4256 posts
By the way…

Sucker.
  • Quick Links