switching spacebar and alt navigation hotkeys

6135   9   4
1799 posts
First of all, please do not shoot the messenger this is coming from artists at my studio trying hard and enthusiastic, to get used and learn houdini ( I do not neccesarily condone it either, but whatever I can do to get more artists in here would be great!)

So here it is. Is there a way to switch the spacebar navigation key with alt? It does not seem like it would be a big deal since alt simply rotates, which is why I ask

Thanks!
-G
7025 posts
When SESI did the switch of the mouse buttons to match Maya and some hotkey changes, in V9 many years ago (it seems) this was brought up. Apparently much harder to do so it was never done…

It certainly is a sore point with Maya/3D Coat/Mudbox experienced people though. I'd hate it until I got used to it but then I don't use Maya very often

Cheers,
Peter B
1799 posts
Hehe same here I know it would help some sticklers make the jump especially since they are generally using digital assets and not making ones. I aleays tell them to press esc

You know, even if there was a way to disable the rotate that may be plenty
-G
96 posts
I know this is an old thread, but just to comment: it would be awesome to be able to swap out the space key for alt. Not so much because I can't get used to using Space, which I can, but because it is a constant annoyance when the cursor was left in an input field and you press space to navigate, and all the input is gone. Which doesn't matter much if undo is quick, but in very heavy scenes, it can actually take a long time.
1799 posts
Agreed with that as well… Found myself doing that quite a bit
-G
1 posts
A lot of software packages have the ability to change these controls. Adding this option would make for a better experience for users who are switching over.
29 posts
This would be great
7714 posts
This was already changed in Houdini 13. Just use the Alt key for tumbling when you're in the viewport. It works in addition to the spacebar by default.
617 posts
space bar is the biggest key in the keyboard, when you are in the studio, in the dark corner where you cant see @!%$#^@%^^. well you know where this is going.
378 posts
pelos
space bar is the biggest key in the keyboard, when you are in the studio, in the dark corner where you cant see @!%$#^@%^^. well you know where this is going.

I can feel alt very well. One could also ask for a desk lamp
  • Quick Links