Q: Seeing overlapping points?

2392   2   1
7024 posts
Hi,

In the H11 viewport when you have overlapping points you can turn on point numbers and while it's a mess, you at least know you have overlapping points.

In the gl3.2 viewport, it appears to only draw a (randomly picked?) number and visually I can't see overlapping points.

this is reasonably important, is there/will there be a way to visually differentiate in gl3.2?

Of course what would be ideal is if there are coincident points, it would (perhaps with an option) try to move the point numbers around so there was at least a hope of seeing the different numbers…

Cheers,

Peter B
31 posts
This definitely bothers me too, for the same reason. It's much harder to get a good look at point numbers in close proximity with the new visualization.
Facebook [facebook.com] | Twitter [twitter.com] | Google+ [plus.google.com]
4495 posts
I submitted as a bug, because the new viewport draws the numbers with a blue glow around them (dark theme). While it might “look” cool, there are problems with this:

1. Glow makes the text more fuzzy, thus not as sharp as H11.
2. Glow hides the overlapping numbers, unlike H11 where you know a mess denotes overlapping numbers.
3. I imagine drawing these glows with the text is slower than just the text alone.

So if you want the H11 style, please submit a bug so they can see it's not only me asking for this (:
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links