Particle Question

6609   6   0
405 posts
Hey Guys,

How do you keep from an object that is copied to a particle from passing through the surface halfway upon particle collision/sliding? I tried moving the pivot point down to the bottom of the object but that did not work. I am kind of clueless at the moment. I have not asked a question in a long time. lol I will be getting back into houdini heavily this summer again. I love houdini and I like participating in this community too.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
33 posts
there is a tolerance setting in the collision POP, or use modified geometry for the collission object if doing slide or stick
405 posts
Hey,

Yeah I saw that in the video too. Does that not work with polygon / mesh objects? I even turned the tollerance full up and no change. I ended up using a transform SOP after the Copy which I translated up 2 units and that moved the copies of the model up on the surface. The rotations are still wrong but atleast it solved the other problem. Thanks for your help. I have alot more to learn about POPs.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
33 posts
The tolerance is a distance at wich the particle is considered to have colided, and then it will behave as you command in the collision pop. So a particle may colide 3 units before “true” collision, but if you've set it to stick it will “jump” and still lay on the surface itself. On the other hand if the particle is set to bounce it will do more like what you expect. Maybe that's why you see no effect.

I've used tolerance when sometimes particles keep going through the object, a small tolerance fixes those little innacuracies.

The pike sop works great to “inflate” collision objects
7708 posts
Pike sop?
405 posts
Hey miguel,

Oh I see. I was using Sliding because it was snow and I did not have it set to bounce. I could set it too bounce play with it to dampen the bounce and make it kind of slide along the surface anyhow. Thanks for the tip very helpful. I have just started with the POPs and I feel like I have entered a whole new world.

Thank You,
Nate Nesler
405 posts
Oh wow the Rigid Bodies really worked for me. I am going to use them with the sliding. Solves alot of problems.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

P.S. I love this stuff. POPs are great.
  • Quick Links