Clustered pyro sim skips some instances

6157   7   2
693 posts
Hi there,

I've got a dynamic clustered smoke sim that's skipping some instance points. the missed container number varies a bit depending on changes I make to the gasresizefluiddynamic DOP, but it's almost always the same container.
Any clue to what could be causing this?

Appreciate any tips.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
Staff
120 posts
Its likely that that particular cluster doesn't have enough of your source ( density I guess ) present on the frame its created so the resize container resizes down to nothing and then can't find the density once it does show up.

You may need to simulate in continuous mode, or delay the resizing of containers a frame or two to give the density a chance to build up before the resize….resizes.
Senior Product Designer
Side Effects Software
693 posts
Right, I thought about that. Although when I tried delaying the resize by one frame a couple o f the containers skip; if I delay 2 frames, all the containers skip, and that made no sense to me.
I had set it up as continuous and now I'm trying pumping more density in the creation frame to see if it helps.

Thanks, Scott
Toronto - ON
Staff
120 posts
Hmm,

Its also possible that you'll need to switch to Reize Static, rather than dynamic.

Then make sure the final size/position of the containers are stored on the cluster points. That way, the ‘edge’ of the container will live in the right place in space the moment it appears.

(use a foreach on the points, or vops trickery if you're clever ). Just timeshift to the end of the cluster animation so they aren't shifting around on you.
Senior Product Designer
Side Effects Software
693 posts
Cool, I'll try that next

Cheers
Toronto - ON
789 posts
I usually create a bounding box around my source points and add that as a tracking object to the gas resize dynamic, that might help in this case as well.

Cheers,
koen
693 posts
koen
I usually create a bounding box around my source points and add that as a tracking object to the gas resize dynamic, that might help in this case as well.

Cheers,
koen

I see, but how do you tell, in the case of a clustered sim, which bounding box is to be tracked for which container? I tried that as well and the containers started resizing to the bounding box of the whole sim, rather than each respective cluster.

BTW, it's kind of working now that I set the delay on the resize to 3 and pumped a lot more density in the begining of the sim (about 10 times more).

Cheers
Toronto - ON
693 posts
Finally, after wrestling with this working and not working, I found that the cluster points SOP was returning some zeroed Scale attributes for some of the cluster points :evil:

I attribute promoted it to detail using maximum and then copied back onto the point attribute and now it works… so far, all the time!

Cheers
Toronto - ON
  • Quick Links