SimSOM Alpha / new demos / Multi-Physics Simulator

7112   11   2
17 posts
Hello everyone,

Sorry for the very long silence, but due to the move to a new country and the lack of time, it is until now that I was able to release some new demos of SimSOM.

It is now an alpha version, and hopefully soon I will be calling out for a few alpha testers, it will be a private alpha release.

Here are a few demos showing some of the old capabilities improved, and many new capabilities, like granular behavior, interactions between different types of materials, switching types of materials, moving geometry, and many other features. And due to a new architecture, the speed and stability were improved a lot as well.

new demos: SimSOM Alpha [geonak.com].

and if you haven't already seen the older demos:
Pre-Alpha II demos SimSOM Pre-Alpha II [geonak.com].

Pre-Alpha I demos SimSOM Pre-Alpha I [geonak.com].

As usual, I also added information about the simulations with each video.

I hope you like it!

Cheers

Georges
Eye of an artist, Mind of an engineer
28 posts
Can you enlighten us what is the point of this solver? I doesn't seem to do good geometry collisions or anything more advanced than the Houdini's implementation.
373 posts
sabotage3d
Can you enlighten us what is the point of this solver? I doesn't seem to do good geometry collisions or anything more advanced than the Houdini's implementation.

I'm willing to bet it's a hell of a lot faster. The spring contstraints look really good too. There's a lot of stuff in his videos that if you tried doing it with stock houdini it wouldn't be easy to set up and would be extremely slow.

Great work, btw. Looks like a really cool toolkit!
Ian Farnsworth
693 posts
I'm a lot more concerned about if/when/how it'll be available to the general public?!
Awesome work, dude!

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
17 posts
@ Solitude :
thanks

@ sabotage3d :
everything solitude said is right + Did you see all the demos and looked at their sim times?
Did you ever try to create a sand solve in houdini, and for example make it interact with water? Try replicating for example the rabbit clash, the hourglass, the breaking column, sand canon …etc…etc
All of them are either non doable in Houdini, or very very hard to setup (all the SimSOM examples you see are done using only 3 nodes). + it is super fast.
It is Multi-physics (evertg in one solver), you can mix and match all behaviours together (liquid, granular, softbody…), and you can make anything interact with anything.

@ rafaels : thanks. soon I will be releasing a private alpha, I will post here on the forums when I am ready.

Cheers,

Geo
330 posts
great job so far ! congrats !

Q : in what context does that work ( SOPs , DOPs, .. ) ?
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
17 posts
@zarti : thank you, it is in SOPs for now (which has many advantages, one of which is ‘not limiting its use to master license holders’).
Still in the brainstorming stage, I am thinking of making a DOPs version or at least a bridge between the 2 worlds.

Cheers,

Geo
693 posts
geonak
@zarti : thank you, it is in SOPs for now (which has many advantages, one of which is ‘not limiting its use to master license holders’).
Still in the brainstorming stage, I am thinking of making a DOPs version or at least a bridge between the 2 worlds.

Cheers,

Geo

I personally like the idea of keeping my dynamics stuff in DOPs and also would be cool to keep the flow of information simple between SimSOM and native DOPs stuff, just in case we need to mix things.
I'm also aware that a lot of people will disagree with me at least in the first point!
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
330 posts
geonak

Cheers,

Geo

oh that wd be absolutely Fantastic !

since formerly-named-Escape exclusive users do not yet have any physical simulation node / set of nodes in SOP context , that wd be greatly appreciated ( i believe ) .

if you decide to settle those in DOPs States , hope its not that hard for you to develop in parallel for SOPs too ..

thanks for your reply !
.cheers
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
691 posts
Congratulations, it looks like a very robust multiphysics solver.
Feel The Knowledge, Kiss The Goat!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandroecheverry [linkedin.com]
http://vimeo.com/lordpazuzu/videos [vimeo.com]
17 posts
Thank you everyone for the encouragement!
52 posts
some of this work really awesome. especially that sand flow which all commercial tool missing for decades….

awesome again geonak
  • Quick Links