Fracturing geometry's topology question

2024   3   1
84 posts
Hi guys (and girls),

I was modeling some objects to destroy and kept wondering the how does topology affects the fracturing process/efficiency?

Are N-gon free models better suited for fracturing/RB Simming than less carefully modeled ones? Do this affect in some way or should I not care too much about it?

Thanks in advance
258 posts
I think that clean models are more important that N-gons…use a ploy clean node to check and clean.

That said I usually still would throw a divideSop on any crazy N-gon geometry and use the bricker option.
84 posts
hi sl0throp thanks for the reply

Yeah, I know its a good practice to keep the mesh clean and that there are relatively simple ways to clean polys in Houdini and I use them all the time.

But I was just wondering how much would it affect simulations and fracturing if I didn't clean them up..
12 posts
I think overall the fracturing would be fine, as it works by scattering points throughout the volume of the geometry, and not necessarily by connecting to existing points. However, if you have some really bad issues, such as holes or overlapping polys or things like that, you could get some weird pieces in your fracture that don't look like they could fit back together. If you're shattering it into a whole lot of small chunks, I don't think it would be much of an issue.
  • Quick Links