probabilities of random integers

4242   2   1
190 posts
I'm trying to make a tool that lets me control the distribution of values (integers) in a random function.
I want to instance about 20 different geos on points and not just completelly randomly.
So far i've found this way to do this:
round(ch(“../nrOfGeos”)*chramp(“../probabilities”,rand($PT*ch(“../seed”)),0))
I then use a ramp to slide the “probabilities” of the individual geos but this is not really a clean way to do this.

My first question: what would be the vop-sop equivalent of chramp?

Then, how can i “populate” a ramp with points and default values based on the amount of # in a multiparm block list?

Ideally i would like to have 0-1 sliders for every type of geo and use those. But i don't know yet how to get the normalised values and do the math to get the right geo.

I hope somebody can help with some pointers in the right direction, this would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.
192 posts
the goal here seems to be manipulating arrays in vops. unfortunately, at this stage in the game, doing array manipulation in vops means inline-ing lots of code.

fortunately, in leiu of multidimensional arrays in vops we can use simple points as an array. because points can have any number of attributes, making a multidimensional array becomes pretty easy.

here's an example. kind of fun…

Attachments:
multi_demensional_array_in_sops_lol.hip (166.2 KB)
probabilities.jpg (204.8 KB)

190 posts
Thanks a lot Brian for this great example.
Smart move to use an attributePromote to sum all probabilites, i've seen it used before but totally didn't think of it.
The for-loops in vops is another part of your hip that i'm not overly familiar with and it proves very powerful.

Thanks again.
  • Quick Links