Textures missing when rendering over network

3924   3   4
154 posts
hey all

Im trying to do a network render in mantra

by running

mantra -H “aracid,aracid2”

and it works except when it renders the buckets that are from another machine - the image is rendered without textures

ive setup both machines to be able to access the files, they are stored on another server, with permissions being equal.

$JOB = //aracid3/houdini
all textures are prefixed with $JOB ie. $JOB/tex/treebark.tga

is there anything that i am missing?

thanks in advance

all the best

aracid
543 posts
Hi there,

What platform? WIN? Linux? If Linux (or any *NIX) make sure your NFS service is setup correctly, if mantra can't “see” the files from the remote machines, it can't render those buckets. I don't know about Windows file sharing, but the idea is the same.

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
154 posts
hey xionmark

with regards to what OS, its windows 2000

and about the permissions and being able to see the files, its strange because when i render from aracid1 or aracid with out network rendering, its fine, its just if i use a “renderfarm” that the problem occurs.

i would like to think that theres some ENVIROMENTAL variable that one needs to setup to resolve this issue, however ive never had to do this with other 3d apps.

so basically i wonder if theres a standard procedure to rendering accros a network in houdini?

anyways

thanks once again

all the best

aracid
2199 posts
I've had similar problems in the past and it always boiled down to one of two things.

1. Don't use drive letters, use unc paths. But it looks like you are doing that already.

2. In versions pre 6.5 don't mix object shaders and sop shaders on the same object.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
  • Quick Links