offset animation inside foreach

6642   6   3
11 posts
Hi there,

I quite new with houdini so bare with me:

I need to timeshift animation on a polyextrude inside a foreach loop on every primitive it's going through..

-but the timeshift also works up the tree outside the foreach, so I can't use this

so how can I get animation with different offsets on the polyextrude inside the foreach?

the second thing I'll need is a way to store a creation frame on primitives that I group using a bounding volume..
(I animate a bounding sphere from a group node, through a sphere to “reveal” the faces)

any ideas?
thnx
55 posts
Could you upload a hip file with your problem area in it?

My instincts say you'll need to use the stamp() expression to get the number of the poly that you're going to offset in time.

Something like stamp(“../../foreach1”,“FOREACHVALUE”,0) <which probably won't work, but something like that, I think).
“If you can eat it raw you can't under cook it”
696 posts
Hey, see the attached file for the first question.

Now to store creation time you'd probably have to use a solve SOP… not too complicated, but I don't have much time to try something out now. Another way would be using particles. Say you pipe your face selection through a POP network and for each face selected you create one particle and store the primitive number onto the particle. Then just attribute transfer the life of the particle back onto the primitives.

Cheers

Attachments:
timeshift_polyextrude_animation.hip (59.7 KB)

Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
11 posts
thanks guys,

I only have apprentice at home so can't check your file rafaels, i'll check it monday.. thanks!

I've attached a file describing the problem, the thing is that I need the shape of the extruded faces of the spheres (as in tapered box)

any other way is welcome ofcourse..

thanks!

Attachments:
extrudeoffset.hipnc (65.3 KB)

696 posts
You can open HIP files in apprentice, just not save them as HIP, but as HIPNC.

Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
11 posts
He Rafael,

didn't know that! (gotta love sidefx

anyway,
I've looked at your file and actually I already had a similar setup. (I still picked up some new tricks from your file, so thanks!)
The problem I'm facing is that I use a group geomtery node with the bounding box option to reveal the faces.
What I would want is that when a face is revealed on frame N , it's extrude animation starts on frame N.

any ideas how to solve this?

regards,
Martijn
11 posts
ola,

the solution was under my nose the whole time…

I have workable solution that will do the job, any improvements are welcome ofcourse..

Attachments:
sphereblocks1.hip (82.2 KB)

• Quick Links