Fracture My Head Help!!!

3486   4   3
10 posts
Hello folks,

I'm new to Houdini and loving it so far but there is one thing that absolutely stumps me. I'm sure for someone advanced this might seem silly but:

1. How do you fracture only PART of an object instead of the whole? I've tried the voronoi fracture points etc, I've set the fracture radius very small and still everything breaks apart. What I need is something like a bullet hitting a wall - the whole wall shouldn't crumble when that happens

I'm sure I'm missing something extremely simple but I just can't figure it out. If somebody can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Thank you…
339 posts
I'd probably just boolean out the part of the wall that I did want to fracture and roll on from there.
Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
1769 posts
Use the voronoi fracture points sop as second input for voronoi fracture sop and turn on clustering, and use metaball(s) to define impact position for voronoi fracture points sop.
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
Staff
2540 posts
Both answers above are spot on.

Cut your object up using a bunch of different techniques. It could be as simple as the Break shelf tool on the Model shelf tab to cleave your object up and then fracture the part you want. You can create your own cutter with another manifold (closed watertight) object and use the Cookie boolean SOP.

The attached file switches between a Break SOP and a Cookie SOP.

Btw the Break SOP uses Cookie inside so arguably both use booleans.

Attachments:
shatter_part_of_object.hip (622.3 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
10 posts
Many, many thanks to all of you for the pointers.

Thank you Jeff for the file - it helps a lot to have examples to look at in the beginning stage as I am.

Adapting to Houdini has been a pleasure so far… this was the only bump in the road I encountered.

I am constantly amazed by the flexibility of this program
  • Quick Links