$SHELLSTRETCHSTIFFNESS and the likes...

2600   2   2
694 posts
Just a rant, feel free to not respond, but why on earth the cloth control attributes had to change name? I had lots of setups done in 12.1 that are quite unusable in 12.5 and i must go in and change each of my expressions where those variables happen which means a lot of them…

Now, back to work!
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
387 posts
Here's a thought - are you trying this sort of approach?

% hexpand thing.hip
% grep -ir stiffness thing.hip.dir

that will show you all the op's which have the stiffness expression…

If there aren't many, you could txt edit them, then “hcollapse” to get your new hipfile.

% hcollapse thing.hip.dir

tadah.

What follows here may void your hipfile warranty. - Feeling braver? You could send that list from grep to a list-of-files with ‘-n’ and build a “sed” shell script on the results. The sed can do a search & replace (which is fine if all you need to do a simple string translation). eg.

% grep -irl stiffness thing.hip.dir > files.txt

files.txt will have the filenames of each file which contains ‘stiffness’. Now edit it to look like this:

% sed -i old.def -e ‘s/sedgestretchstiffness/shellstretchstiffness/’ thing.hip.dir/obj/clothness/somehardnesspoly.def

the ‘-i old.def’ should rename the orig file to be ‘blah.old.def’, so it will appear in the hipfile when you hcollapse it all back together again. Mileage may vary..

For bonus points, you could wrap all this up into a find(1) command, where the sed is done in an -exec flag, but that'd be too tricky to maintainable! :-)

The hexpand and grep might be practically useful tho' - just to know where they all are, and a final check to be sure you've got them all.
''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
Staff
2540 posts
rafaels
Just a rant, feel free to not respond, but why on earth the cloth control attributes had to change name? I had lots of setups done in 12.1 that are quite unusable in 12.5 and i must go in and change each of my expressions where those variables happen which means a lot of them…

Now, back to work!

You're not the only one who had to fix files.

We announced some possible new features at Siggraph 2013. By renaming the attributes now, we align ourselves much better for the new solver coming in soon to H13.

Hint: shell = surface, interior???, solids???
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links