FCurve node In ICE

5923   9   1
620 posts
Hi,

There is FCurve node in ICE that like ramp node in vop. But I find Ramp node have only linear and ease-in-out curve mode. I want make a fast-in slow-out curve in VOP Net. How could I do?

Thanks!
4189 posts
many people have feature request bezier handles for the float ramp.
7025 posts
You can still old-school it by using an animation channel, keyframes at 1 and 100 (and any inbetween) then use the ‘chf()’ function to look up into that curve. That's what all use grey-hairs used to use and still do when the Ramp parm lacks the interpolations you want.
Staff
4159 posts
pbowmar
You can still old-school it by using an animation channel, keyframes at 1 and 100 (and any inbetween) then use the ‘chf()’ function to look up into that curve. That's what all use grey-hairs used to use and still do when the Ramp parm lacks the interpolations you want.

Wow, awesome tip!
I'm o.d.d.
12448 posts
Or use a Ramp spare parameter and chramp(), of course!
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
7025 posts
That's the point, the Ramp parms don't have very controllable accel/decel like you'd want, some of the time.
12448 posts
Helps if I read the question, doesn't it? ops:
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
7025 posts
I usually never do. TL; DR is my new motto.
620 posts
pbowmar

hi pbowmar ,

chf() may not be driven by different point attribute in Vop network. but ramp can do it.

In SI, FCurve is very useful for tweak particle per-point attribute.
7025 posts
Ah I see yes. In fact, you can use chf() with attributes, but in a clunky way: You make a local variable (which VOPs will create for you automatically in the Create Attribute VOP) then use that in the chf() function.

I agree that Ramp (particularly the Float Ramp) needs some love to get Beziers and other interpolations in there.

We use ramps extensively in Houdini too so I feel your pain.

Cheers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links