Mental Ray Equivalent Shader

4895   3   1
620 posts
hi,

Are there some equivalent shaders as MR countour shader for toons and Round Corner bump shader?

thansk!
655 posts
You may want to do it yourself as there is no toon shading in Houdini per se.

You could use the glow shader to do some sort of cheap outline but it is not the same.

My suggestion is to dive into
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-RenderMan-Creating-Pictures-Kaufmann/dp/1558606181 [amazon.co.uk]

There is a nice chapter on Non-Photorealistic Rendering

hope it helps
2624 posts
Hi,
For edges check out a solution for displacement and edges on my website. should give you a solution for your shader
http://www.circusmonkey.com.au/circusmonkey/Shops.html [circusmonkey.com.au]

Rob
Gone fishing
Staff
2540 posts
Many different approaches to toon shading and rendering in Houdini.

It can go from the simplistic where you use the two tone VOP to do basic ramp based shading to full on multiple layer composite with masks.

I attached a file I created quickly. Have a look inside the material surface. If you know ice, it shouldn't take too much to wire up what you want in VOPs.

It involves two render engines in Houdini: Mantra for the shading and Wren for the outlines.

There are many shaders that try to raytrace lines and yes you can do that as well with Mantra but you end up with the issues of derivatives on marginal geometry. Nothing's ideal… But there is Wren. It is it's own render engine available in Houdini designed to render vector lines. It can also generate .ps postscript files if you want.

The wires are comped over your shading. Houdini's COP networks work very well for this setup. Go to the /img/img1 cop network and set up a Composite View in any pane.

I also helped set up a version of PIXAR's paper on Effective Toon Rendering Control Using Scalar Fields a few years ago. You can modulate the Expand COP using the mask input where 0 is no expand and 1 is full expand. All in Houdini using both solid fill, painted thickness on the props, rendering patches as region id's, using Mantra Micropolygon rendering for fills and Wren for wires along with the Edge Detect COP to outline regions.

Attachments:
Archive.zip (734.5 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links