vop node for chf() vex function

5623   7   1
620 posts
hi,

which vop node is equivalent of chf() vex function?

thanks!
4504 posts
I don't think there is. Not every VOP has a VEX equivalent function, and vice versa.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
249 posts
The chf() is hscript if im not mistaken. The Lookup chop is the node version of the chf() function. It's functionality can also be replicated with the Blendpose chop.
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
606 posts
Oh there is a vex chf() as well. You just have to call it from an Inline VOP as, as said, there is no separate node for it.

Attachments:
ee_vex_chf.hip (89.9 KB)

1743 posts
pusat
Not every VOP has a VEX equivalent function, and vice versa.
It would be good if the gap could be closed if there are any problematic discrepancies, e.g. excluding cases that don't make sense to be in one or the other.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
4504 posts
ndickson
pusat
Not every VOP has a VEX equivalent function, and vice versa.
It would be good if the gap could be closed if there are any problematic discrepancies, e.g. excluding cases that don't make sense to be in one or the other.

I agree. I submitted individual ones and one to equalize both long ago. Unfortunately there are too many. For instance the geometry inspection functions like vertexpoint, pointvertex, primvertex, etc are not available as VOPs .

IMO the best solution is to go through each VOP and VEX function and add them to the other if it's missing. After that any new VOP or VEX function should always be added to both. Otherwise we are forced to use one over the other by artificial constraints.

I don't think this is high on SESI's to-do list though
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

4504 posts
There are also other limitations that further divides them up:

1. You can't define structs in AttribWrangle SOP but you can in AttribVOP SOP.

2. You can't define a function that returns an array in AttribWrangle SOP but you can in AttribVOP SOP.

All these issues cause many hours to be wasted and lost productivity. This is only for 1 person. Multiply it with 100, then it becomes a huge problem IMO.

It also makes teaching/training very hard.

620 posts
I agree. Many inconsistent rules to confuse me!
  • Quick Links