Field3D: Compiling on Windows

3946   3   1
61 posts
I'm trying to compile the Field3D plugin on windows in order to transfer smoke from Houdini to Fume.

This is the command that I'm currently running from the field3d directory where f3dtools.C file is located:

hcustom f3dtools.C -i cie/ark/programs/houdini/houdini13.0/dso -L “CProgram Files (x86)/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v7.0A/Lib/x64/” -L “CProgram Files (x86)/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v7.0A/Lib/”

When compiled with no change to the code, the compiler complains about error C2664: ‘void GU_Detail::sortPrimitiveList(GU_AxisType)’ : cannot convert parameter 1 from ‘fpreal32 *’ to ‘GU_AxisType’

If I comment out this line, then the compiler gives a classic fatal error LNK1120: 25 unresolved externals.

It seems like almost all of these errors are LNK2019: unresolved external symbol in the f3dtools object file, followed by a string beginning with: “__declspec(dllimport) public: class std::basic_string . . . . . .”

Is there a precompiled version of this plugin somewhere? I'm surprised it's not just included by default, without it there's no way to get smoke out of Houdini which is a big barrier to adoption.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Grant Miller
VFX Supervisor
Ingenuity Studios
35 posts
you should probably send sidefx support a mail directly regarding your issue. I think you will find they are quite good.

-G
1694 posts
Please let us know if you're succeeding using Field3D with Houdini and Fume.

My last information was that although Fume supports Field3D, it implements its own compression scheme within it, effectively rendering the format unusable for transfering data between apps (but hopefully this is changed – or I was misinformed).
Imre Tuske
FX Supervisor | Senior FXTD @ Weta FX

qLib -- Houdini asset library
http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
https://www.facebook.com/qLibHoudini [www.facebook.com]
18 posts
riviera
Please let us know if you're succeeding using Field3D with Houdini and Fume.

My last information was that although Fume supports Field3D, it implements its own compression scheme within it, effectively rendering the format unusable for transfering data between apps (but hopefully this is changed – or I was misinformed).

It is true i guess, 'cause i got field3d complied and work in houdini, but every time i import .f3d file cached from fumeFX, houdini crashes, importing .f3d file which houdini exports works fine.
  • Quick Links