BUG: viewport curption then crash 7.0.192

4270   4   2
237 posts
On my Linux SuSE install of 7.0.192 i have started getting a glitch that was there before but more prevalent now. it is something that could probably be blamed on my set-up. or my G-force FX 5900.

I get a viewport that is not redrawn proply (I can save if I am quick) then the cursor jumps about often grabbing my Taskbar and dragging it to a position where it is a bother to return it. then dose a core dump.

The thing is this has happened before with other releases of Houdini but this release seems to be more prone to this. Also the cursor jumping about makes it hard to say it is Houdini fault, but it happens after the viewport glitch and before the core dump. It has happened 6 times in the 8 hours since i installed 7.0.192 but before with other releases it has been behaving its self better. Maybe 3 times a week in other releases.
The scenes I am working on has only a few bones in it (less than 5) in files that started as blank.
Robert Kelly
527 posts
Crap my system will go crazy sometimes!!! im getting scared …. i dont know if its houdini related but it started around the day i installed the gold release(and i did a windoze update of media player and security patch).

My cursor moves to the bottom left of the screen and my task bar goes fritzzy. It tries to close houdini and other apps open. It even went to the shutdown page.

Im gona see if i can get my hands on the latest greatest anti virus to check my system. But anyone else have this after the gold release install?

winXp pro sp1 with all critical updates
houdini 7.0.192
soho vfx
4140 posts
Meshmouth - haven't seen anything here remotely like that, unfortunately. I suspect you may be right - card/driver related. Possible Houdini is triggering it, though.

Warren - completely different issue - it doesn't sound like anything at all to do with Houdini, either. System stuff, not good. Yes, an anti-virus might help.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
527 posts
I didnt detect any virus on my box, So I decided to back up all my stuff and get ready to do a fresh install. Before wiping it, I installed SP 2 to see if my box would work with it. To my suprise the crazy problem went away and I havent seen it since. :?

What I find intersting is on the day I noticed this problem occuring was when I did that blasted windoze update. The updates are definitely major parts of sp2. Wonder if this is a bad attempt from microsoft to get people to install the full SP2/media player10? (cue X-Files music) :shock:
soho vfx
4140 posts
Stranger things have happened, even without Sculley… AFAIK, SP2 is indeed vast portions of the OS - a significant percentage of the whole thing is replaced.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links