Inline VOP problems ..

2689   3   1
543 posts
Hi,

WIN-XP: H7.0.187

Maybe something's changed in H7 … but I'm having some strange errors showing with the Inline VOP and I hope it's a simple problem I'm overlooking.

Basically, I'm using an Inline VOP for a simple step function, but when I get an error I can't seem to “clear” the error until I've deleted the Inline VOP and tried to render the image with the newly edited VOP net.

What's weird is that the error doesn't go away until rendering, not when the Inline VOP is deleted. It used to recompile the code immeadiately; is there a pref somewhere related to this? I can't find one.

The other thing is that even when I enter a VERY simple expression (i.e. $out1 = 0.75) in the Inline VOP, I still get errors, see below.

–Mark

//
// VEX Code Generated by Houdini 7.0.187
// Date: Thu Sep 30 11:07:41 2004
// From: /vex/shader_dev_step_function (shader_dev_23.hip)
//

#define VOP_SHADING
#define VOP_SURFACE

#pragma opname shader_dev_step_function
#pragma oplabel “Shader #5 (step function)”
#pragma opmininputs 0
#pragma opmaxinputs 0
#pragma label primary “Primary Color”
#pragma hint primary color
#pragma label secondary “Secondary Color”
#pragma hint secondary color

surface
shader_dev_step_function(vector primary = { 1, 0.7, 1 };
vector secondary = { 0.3, 0.3, 1 })
{
int bound;
int bound1;
float out1;
vector val;

// Code produced by: inline1
out1 = 0.75

// Code produced by: primary
bound = isbound(“primary”);

// Code produced by: secondary
bound1 = isbound(“secondary”);

// Code produced by: spline1
val = cspline( out1 , primary , secondary );

// Code produced by: output1
Cf = val;
}

When compiling this directly with vcc, I get these errors (which are the same errors I get in VOPS), yet the code looks fine:

> vcc inline_test.vfl
“inline_test.vfl” line 33 ERROR (1000) Syntax error
bound = isbound(“primary”);

^
“inline_test.vfl” line 39 WARNING (2003) Write only or uninitialized variable “out1” used as argument 2 for “cspline”
val = cspline( out1 , primary , secondary );

^
WARNING (2007) Variable “bound” was declared but never used
REMARK (3002) There is 1 unused variable
REMARK (3003) 1 error and 1 warning encountered
REMARK (3007) No output is generated due to errors in the source code
>
========================================================
You are no age between space
941 posts
xionmark
The other thing is that even when I enter a VERY simple expression (i.e. $out1 = 0.75) in the Inline VOP, I still get errors, see below.

——
// Code produced by: inline1
out1 = 0.75
——

Hi Mark,

I have no idea what could be causing the “error persists ‘til render” problem (and I’m not in front of Houdini right now to check it out). But I did notice that your example line $out1 = 0.75 is missing the semicolon at the end…. which would generate a syntax error. Could it be that you've forgotten the semicolon? Or was this a typo when writing the message?

Cheers!
Mario Marengo
Senior Developer at Folks VFX [folksvfx.com] in Toronto, Canada.
543 posts
Mario Marengo
I have no idea what could be causing the “error persists ‘til render” problem (and I’m not in front of Houdini right now to check it out). But I did notice that your example line $out1 = 0.75 is missing the semicolon at the end…. which would generate a syntax error. Could it be that you've forgotten the semicolon? Or was this a typo when writing the message?

Cheers!

Hey!

Thanks, that's what it was (the missing semicolon), I figured it was something easy/stupid, but what was throwing me off was this weird thing when I remove the Inline VOP entirely and I still get errors until rendering. I've used this VOP in the past and usually it takes changing something in the “Inline Code” field for the code to be recompiled so I was chasing my tail for a while … I can't find anything that would cause that particular symptom; I made sure the “update button” is set to “Always”, I can't think of any other reason why I'd see this behaviour.

Anyway, thanks Mario!

–Mark
Edited by - Oct. 1, 2004 12:18:22
543 posts
Hi there,

I tried this excercise again this morning and it is repeatable. When editing the “Inline VEX Code” field, it appears the VOP/VEX code is not compiled until render time, which is different from 6.1.

Is there a preference somewhere to change this or is this a bug?

–Mark
  • Quick Links