BUG: Template & Footprinted geometry is unselectable

5754   8   2
12428 posts
Houdini 7.0.192, linux RH9

It becomes impossible to select points from a SOP that has both the Footprint AND Template flag on it IF you set the template after you set the Footprint flag.

Try this:

*) Make two LineSOP, just apart from each other
*) Display/Render on line1, Footprint on line2 (no template set)
*) You are able to select points from either in the Viewer.
*) Now set line2's Template flag
*) You can no longer select points
*) Unset and set the Footprint flag on line2
*) Now you can again!

Or something..
Anyway, its unpredicatable and awkward when you're in the thick of it.

Cheers,
Jason
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
2199 posts
Welcome to modelling with houdini.
Nice to have someone else noticing this stuff too…..
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
12428 posts

Yeah… lots of little things crop up…

*) I also find that the RMB-hold-over-geometry menu to unDisplay other Objects often doesn't work properly. It just ignores my request to undisplay something.

*) I find that its easy to accidentally lay down a few PolySplitSOPs that do nothing at all. I wouldn't mind if we just didnt lay down polysplits (or any op) if they very going to be empty.

*) The PolyKnit and PolyStitch SOPs, (which are great, by the way), don't Undo nicely. Undoing halfway through selection does nothing until suddenly your SOP is gone. This could be tightened up.

*) The PolyStitch always removes the polys you've selected to stitch. Would it be possible to get this tool to preserve your input geometry an make an all-new piece of geometry which is the stitch?

*) When adding a GroupSOP in the viewport, if a groupname exists your geometry disappears. Could you not find a unique group name and/or just yellow-flag instead?

*) Still would love Home Selected (“g”) to home in on all the current sop's geometry if nothing is selected. I hate hitting “w”- “h”- “w” or “s”- “a”- “g”- click-off-to-deselect to frame the output of the SOP

*) There are still some strange PolySplit not-finding-an-edge things going on. Happens after a short time of modeling around.

*) Please, more selection tools! Select boundary, march selections, grow and shrink, quad strip selection, etc.

Anyone else have the same requests?
2199 posts
Yup, second most all of that. Hadn't noticed 1 and 2 but the rest yes.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
527 posts
Noticed most of that stuff too……
soho vfx
35 posts
i noticed when i try to delete a selected node using the delete key, houdini delete 1 or 2 nodes it depends but if i use the delete from the menu there's no problem

Benco

Houdini 7.0.192 win XP
12428 posts
Simon
Yup, second most all of that. Hadn't noticed 1 and 2 but the rest yes.

Yeah, I think that if you have set an object to be unselectable, you can still RMB and get a popup but you cannot modify its flags.
Staff
1072 posts
That's a funny coindidence. I fixed the footprint/template selection bug recently as part of a more general bug fix. Though this for a future version. You can at least rest assured that it won't ALWAYS be like that
527 posts
When will sidefx start posting the 7.0.x in the software update section?
soho vfx
  • Quick Links