Search - User list
Full Version: Paper Burn Effect Help
Root » Houdini Learning Materials » Paper Burn Effect Help
Mario Pece
Hello,
i am trying to recreate a simple paper burning effects but im having hard time figuring out how to generate fire based off a revealing texture map… is there a sample project file i can look at so i can understand the set up? or a tutorial would be great too!!

Example: http://vimeo.com/30525547 [vimeo.com]

Thanks
old_school
Many ways to create this effect. I haven't put up an example using the Attribute Fade SOP ever, so here you go.

Attribute Fade SOP is a nice asset that, given a weight attribute (default name is of type float “fade”) from 0-1, given a blend in and blend out frame length, will reconstruct the fade attribute out for you to fade in and out. I set it up to fade out only. A nice ramp is there for you to re-time the effect.

I use this fade attribute to simply blast points away from the geometry making it real simple to provide a growing band of geometry for the simulation.

The attached solution works in uv space along the object and a direction vector in uv space. Look at the VOP SOP to see how easy it is to do this. I used the Add Attribute VOP in there as I used a Delete SOP in expression mode and needed to add the attribute signature. Shoulda used the Attribute Create SOP to blast the points… Let me know if you want me to add as alternative to the Delete SOP.
old_school
Oh and if you have a weight map from 0-1 as the noise map for the burn effect, just substitute it in for the flow noise VOP using a Colormap VOP.
Lukas Stolarski
I just want to say thank you Jeff (especially that your help was unanswered). I ended up here looking for something else but this is also new for me! Huge respect for the support you're giving. I love your webinars

All the best.
aaryanguna
Thank you Jeff, I am trying to do a similar effect. Your file was of great help. I have a question with regards to this. How to choose the source points from where the fire starts? I would like to have multiple source points for the fire to start from.

Thank you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.