Search - User list
Full Version: Please add native support for 3dconnexion devices
Root » Houdini Lounge » Please add native support for 3dconnexion devices
Don Nash
I'm coming from 3ds Max as a freelance artist, and as most of you know there is a good deal of disaffected folks in the XSI and Max community. So, Houdini Indie looks like a great way to transition from AD altogether.

However, there is a huge obstacle to doing so, for me. There is no native support in Houdini for 3dconnexion devices and there are a LOT more of us out there (who use them) than you would think. And we do not want to work in a 3D app that doesn't support it.

Right now, Houdini is the ONLY major 3D Software application with no such support. PLEASE change that. All others support them for a very good reason. Until there is support for this, I'm afraid I cannot even consider Houdini, because I've been using my SpacePilot in all my 3D Apps (including 3D Coat), for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_O3yLp9Kek&list=PL86EBD1922106E10D [youtube.com]

Going without it is a real pain once you've become used to working with one.
anon_user_37409885
It's a very good idea, but, you're saying Houdini minus SpacePilot is worse than continuing with AD managed softwares. I would contend not
Don Nash
MartybNz
It's a very good idea, but, you're saying Houdini minus SpacePilot is worse than continuing with AD managed softwares. I would contend not
If there is not going to be any support, yes….I'd rather just stick with Max. When you use one all day every day, for years…just like a wacom tablet, you simply DO NOT want to go back.

I like Houdini a lot, but not enough to give up my SpacePilot.
Don Nash
…..crickets. :?
anon_user_37409885
Maybe it's best to get reacquainted with the wacom and mouse until support happens 8)
Sadjad Rabiee
I think 3dconnexion devices are just an useful tools for doing easy some works on different situations , but not all.

It's like to we can make some beauty Fire and Explosion with FumeFX too, But we can make very customize these effect with PyroFX , Because we can change PyroFX nodes to achieve new PyroFX node with different behaviors !
in the FumeFX or Maya Fluid Effects , we only have a simple BLACK BOX with some predefined parameters !

Power of the Houdini is not in it's supportation , It's on different things such as :
1. Full Procedural project
2. Full node base system with editable possibility

If you know more about these two features , You should know that you can't do too many project with other similar 3D softwares such as Maya and Max !
You can just do them with Scripting or even writing C++ plug-ins.
Houdini can help you to make some perfect projects very easier than others , So you can use it inside of you 3D software , not replace with it.
for example I working with Maya too , And I working with Houdini for different situations.
Learning Houdini is good for everyone who wanna make perfect and complex projects. it can be a perfect tool for your projects exactly like 3dconnexion devices .

Another important note is your goal about using Houdini ,If you are just a Modeler , Animator or simple FX artist , So you can just work with Max or Maya with 3dconnexion devices and too many useful plug-ins such as FumeFX , Ray Fire and etc

But if you are a Senior VFX Artist or a Technical Director , working with powerful software with possibility of Procedural modeling and Full node base system is more useful than using 3dconnexion devices !
In this case you should can create and develop some custom tools for your complex VFX projects or even your VFX team in the minimum time with simpler and faster way.

Supporting 3dconnexion devices or similar tools with Houdini is perfect and I really like that , But I think there is some other important things that Side Effects working on them. :wink:
Don Nash
Joker386
I think 3dconnexion devices are just an useful tools for doing easy some works on different situations , but not all.

It's like to we can make some beauty Fire and Explosion with FumeFX too, But we can make very customize these effect with PyroFX , Because we can change PyroFX nodes to achieve new PyroFX node with different behaviors !
in the FumeFX or Maya Fluid Effects , we only have a simple BLACK BOX with some predefined parameters !

Power of the Houdini is not in it's supportation , It's on different things such as :
1. Full Procedural project
2. Full node base system with editable possibility

If you know more about these two features , You should know that you can't do too many project with other similar 3D softwares such as Maya and Max !
You can just do them with Scripting or even writing C++ plug-ins.
Houdini can help you to make some perfect projects very easier than others , So you can use it inside of you 3D software , not replace with it.
for example I working with Maya too , And I working with Houdini for different situations.
Learning Houdini is good for everyone who wanna make perfect and complex projects. it can be a perfect tool for your projects exactly like 3dconnexion devices .

Another important note is your goal about using Houdini ,If you are just a Modeler , Animator or simple FX artist , So you can just work with Max or Maya with 3dconnexion devices and too many useful plug-ins such as FumeFX , Ray Fire and etc

But if you are a Senior VFX Artist or a Technical Director , working with powerful software with possibility of Procedural modeling and Full node base system is more useful than using 3dconnexion devices !
In this case you should can create and develop some custom tools for your complex VFX projects or even your VFX team in the minimum time with simpler and faster way.

Supporting 3dconnexion devices or similar tools with Houdini is perfect and I really like that , But I think there is some other important things that Side Effects working on them. :wink:
I'm not saying the app isn't useful as is for all of these things, but coming from another software application in which I am very comfortable in, having to give up the ability to use my 3dconnexion device, which I use D-A-I-L-Y.….is a non-starter. What if YOU were a Texture Painter and were asked to give up the use of your Wacom Tablet, to work in an app like Mari, 3D Coat, Mudbox, ZBrush, etc.

You'd say….“To hell with that!” That's how I feel about the transition to an already difficult to learn application and I cannot use the device I've been using for years. All these other apps could make the same excuse you just gave. But they didn't.
anon_user_37409885
Whilst I agree it's a good thing to have, the texture painting example is poor - professional texture painters will only use a Wacom, never a mouse, whilst Houdini is very well run without the 3dConnexion… your learning will be delayed maybe for 5-10 years if you are only waiting for support.
Sadjad Rabiee
my meant is, If you are a modeler , painter or even renderman , So you can use some other softwares like Maya or Max very well , But if you are FX artist or TD , So working with Houdini is perfect and you don't need to 3dconnexion devices (Of course it should be great if Houdini will support it later).

it like to say why we can't create Explosion in ZBrush !
each software is useful for some reason.
ŮŽalthough Houdini is general 3d application (for Modeling , Animating , Rendering and ..) , But I know it usually use for VFX , Procedural Modeling and making new Tools.

in the Technical projects for developing new tools , I usually need to some software with Full Node-Base workflow and Full Procedural system more than 3dconnexion devices supporting (even it never use in similar purpose) !

In the FX and Dynamic projects ,I usually need to one great software with perfect Dynamic system that support Fluid/Flip simulations and perfectly RBD system , I don't think 3dconnexion devices can help me for creating a big Explosion shot !

And that's Houdini ,it give me all of the necessary tools witch useful for FX and technical projects.

Even I think if sidefx will work on developing new tools for Dynamics or make faster currently nodes is so better than working on supporting 3dconnexion devices. :!:

What if YOU were a Texture Painter and were asked to give up the use of your Wacom Tablet, to work in an app like Mari, 3D Coat, Mudbox, ZBrush, etc.

I'm FX artist and If somebody ask me to give up to use Houdini , I say “To hell with that!”

8)
Sadjad Rabiee
MartybNz
Whilst I agree it's a good thing to have, the texture painting example is poor - professional texture painters will only use a Wacom, never a mouse, whilst Houdini is very well run without the 3dConnexion… your learning will be delayed maybe for 5-10 years if you are only waiting for support.

Yes, Learning Houdini is good for freelancers , generalist and Technical artist , although Houdini can't support 3dConnexion currently , But Houdini has some other features.
So we can start to learn Houdini alongside of other 3D apps , maybe someday it'll support 3dConnexion
dastweinerhund
Has this ever been resolved? I have a 3d connection mouse I can use at work but get nothing when I spin it in Houd.
goldfarb
have you checked this:
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/basics/3dmouse.html [www.sidefx.com]
Film1234
I have, and i have H16.5 installed + the latest 3dconnexion driver V10.5.4
but in my Houdini it still does not work. (it works in other apps right now, is there something else we need to turn on to get it to work?
edward
Did you make sure to install the 64-bit Windows driver? If you have the driver installed, it should just work. After starting Houdini, you should be able to start tumbling right away. I haven't tried in a while now so to rule out whether this is a regression, please try installing the 16.0 release as well: https://www.sidefx.com/download/download-houdini/50243/ [www.sidefx.com]
edward
I finally got a chance to try this again in 16.5.351 and the 3DxWare 10.5.4 driver on Windows 7 and it works fine for me.
edward
PS. Got a chance to double-check this on the latest Windows 10 update as well and it's fine.
mrmowgli
Looks like it works on Linux, with spacenavd. However none of the keys are mapped by default. Anyone know what the key binding for menu should be?
edward
There's no support for the keys with spacenavd. I suggest you contact 3D Conexxion to have proper modern Linux support. I think the spacenavd folks has had to basically reverse engineer what they can from what they can get from USB signals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.