Search - User list
Full Version: gconvert error
Root » Technical Discussion » gconvert error
sascha
I want to convert an poly object from the .bgeo format to .lwo with glightwave. Unfortunately I get always the following error:
  • Unable to save destination file x.lwo
    It's not very specific. And converting the file to .obj with gwavefront does work well. So what can cause this error message? glightwave writes the file to disk but it's empty.
edward
What happens if you just load the .bgeo file using a File SOP and then right-click on it and save it as x.lwo?
sascha
I tried it. When saving from the GUI the export file dialog stays open after I press accept and the file is empty, no error message. But .obj and .dxf are working.
edward
It looks like .lwo output is broken to me.
edward
It turns out that saving to .lwo files are not supported.
jason_iversen
And it seems that you can only load from Lightwave v5, right? This seems to be the from a recent attempt by someone here.
JColdrick
I'll chime in here - yes, I've had difficulty loading any recent versions of Lightwave files. We haven't really required it, so I brushed it off as a potential bad file problem, but it would appear that the import code for that needs to be revisited…

Cheers,

J.C.
edward
It's probably easier to just convert the .lwo files into something else (like .obj) first.
sascha
But why has Houdini 7 still the glightwave command and it is also still in the online docs?
However, of course it is not so a big problem since I can convert the geometry from obj to lwo in any other program. I only wanted to try the lwo format because the obj looked strange to me. In Houdini I had only one mesh but in XSI the obj was fragmented in 3 patches or so after the import from Houdini.
edward
There should be some HAD on the Exchange called FixImport or something like that which consists of the Facet SOP with these turned on: Consolidate Point Slow, Orient Polygons, Post Compute Normals. Perhaps an extra toggle to optionally reverse the primitives.
sascha
After piping the poly object through the Facet SOP the normals are unusable in XSI because of the Consolidate Points operation. Unfortunately no operation in the SOP prevents the scattering of the mesh. The scattered polys looses also all internal edges. :?:
edward
You mean that you have vertex normals? Or do you really have legitimately more than one point in the same location in XSI? It's hard to say without actually seeing your geometry.
sascha
There are no double vertices, edges or polys. But there are some extracted polys after the export. That's strange because in Houdini I have only one mesh. The corrupt vertex normals are only a problem when Consolidate Points is on.
edward
Sorry, I misread your post. So the problem is either in the export from Houdini or the import into XSI. Did you assign groups to the geometry in Houdini? Maybe it's getting split apart based on that.
sascha
No, no groups. The network consists only of a geo import node, it's a simple import of a .bgeo file.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.