Search - User list
Full Version: Character rigging without deformations
Root » Technical Discussion » Character rigging without deformations
djpeanut
Hiya,

I've created a character in Apprentice 7 which I need to animate without deformations, as it's a robotic character. I can add bones and kinematics in the usual way using capture regions and constraints, but I can't figure out how to assign particular pieces of geometry to particular bones without painstakingly editing the capture weights for each point, of which there are loads. I created the character in segments as I thought it would make things a bit easier, but there aren't any tutorials I can find, apart from the Buzz one which no longer exists.

I've provided a screen grab of my setup if it helps anyone to advise me on the best way to accomplish non-deforming character animation.

Thanks in advance… btw, i've ploughed through hours and days of tutorials and vids but this is my first proper Houdini project… hope you like what I've come up with!
goldfarb
build your rig as you normally would and then just make each chunk of geometry a child of the right bone…head geo child of head bone, upper arm geo child of upper arm bone etc

done
Moose
As you don't need any deformations to occur, all you need to do is to parent your geo objects to their respective bone objects. No need for capturing any of the geometry.

Looking at your layout though, I'd split up the geometry a little more - so each moving part is in it's own object (fingers for example).

Nice looking robot btw

EDIT: pipped to the post by arctor
edward
I'm not sure you even need bones. Turn on keep position when parenting, parent them all together, clean transforms on all of them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.