Search - User list
Full Version: lattice and edit sop trouble
Root » Technical Discussion » lattice and edit sop trouble
birras
here we go: simple scene from the creating networks video tut (m?).
a lattice op is supposed to deform the sphere:

here s the network:

cd obj
opadd geo new
cd new
rm file1
opadd sphere sphere
opadd box box
opwire sphere box
opadd lattice
opadd edit
opwire sphere lattice1

then I copy parameters for divisions from box and paste relative ref in lattice1 divisions
now I wire a) sphere into lattice1 (allread in ); b) box into lattice1 and 2x into edit1 and c) edit1 into lattice1

now Im supposed to just select edit , blue flag it, footprint lattice1 and click reselect geo for current operation in the viewport, and select points for further editing, aka deform the sphere with the box/lattice but: nocando

I repeated building the scene from scratch and ended up with following results:

a) most of the time, nothing happens. Im unable to edit the box, nor select it. viewport stays in view mode.

b) to my surprise I was able to select twice, but the lattice would not manipulate the geometry of the sphere

c) I was able to select and when I rmb confirmed an edit2 and a merge op was created

Im using version 6.5.53. on XP atm

what am I missing? there must be that little magic button somewhere

I ignored the fact, that the edit didnt work and went on to the next step changing the edit >spring op
the footprint of the lattice is moving but the sphere isnt.

thx in advance 8)
EigenAlex
DId you change your sphere's Primitive type to something other than Primitive?

Generally the input1 of the Lattice is the geometry to be deformed; 2 is the lattice deformer's backbone (divided box); 3 is the lattice deformer's backbone that is edited to the desired shape.
birras
yes…and then….

:?:
birras
ok. solved the problem and created new ones.

the problem was: when I leave template or footprint flags on, the network behaves different.

for example: if I leave the template for the sphere and the footprint for the lattice on and then create an edit op , after I selected the geo and confirm with rmb, a merge and an edit sop is created.

this happened also with other net-setups Ive been experimenting with.

Q:
do I allways have to make sure that no footprints and/or templates are selected in the net-tree, in order to avoid unexpected surprises, or is this an isolated case?

and Im having fun
Simon
No it always does that.

Best thing is to get used to putting sops down in the netwrok editor instead of the viewport. Then it doesn't matter what the footprint and templates are as you do the wiring up manually.
the_squid
Agreed. Houdini is totally different from other apps and this is hard to get used to. Coming from another package it's a lot easier to start by using the new viewport tools, but when you learn how to do it manually you'll learn a lot more about how Houdini works. It may seem like a crappy way to do things but after a while you may find it to be faster than working in the viewport.

Although working in the viewport is needed for some things like combing normals or painting, or drawing curves, manually pushing points, and things like that.

I use both, but definately try using Houdini the ‘ol fashioned way. You’ll have a lot more control and you'll be able to maintain a more procedural workflow the more you know about what the nodes are doing and how they are connected and can be used together.

birras
I did add the edit sop in the network editor.

when I leave footprint/template on, right click to add the edit sop on the 3rd Input of the lattice, then: a) it selects the sphere and the box + b) a new merge and edit2 is created.

In order to have it working properly, I have to make sure ALL template and footprint flags are turned OFF. otherwise this little network does behave in an unexpected way.

happened repeatedly..when I leave any flags on, normaly what happens is that a merge sop just pops up and rewires things.
what will happen if I have a more complex network? do I have to go back up the net, unflag everything, add the edit sop, select>confirm and later go back in the network editor and put the template/footprint flags back on, in order to edit the shapes. :shock: ??! just to make sure it doesnt do its own thingy? I reapeated this and similar networks now for N* times and it allways does the same.
this:
.. .putting sops down in the netwrok editor instead of the viewport. Then it doesn't matter what the footprint and templates are…
does not work for me

Q:
does it also make a difference how I add the sop in the network?
meaning:
do the sops behave differently when they where added a) by rmb>sop or just by tab>sop and then wired up?

Q2:
do I allways have to unflag everything to prevent unwanted sops being added(example merge and edit2 sop), even when adding sops in the network editor. is there a trick to it?

thx
:wink:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.