display card

2769   2   2
313 posts
I am going to upgrade my graphic card of my computer! Can anyone suggest me which one is the best for Houdini? How about Nvidia ‘s geforce? Or ATI’s series? I want to get a really good one for Houdini!

Any help will be appreciated!
2199 posts
I've always liked the Nvidia based ones, I found that they've had the fewest number of driver issues. The only problem with the cheaper ones is that they don't have a huge z depth range so you sometimes need to tweak the near clipping plane in display options if you have a scene that varies from very small to very large. Apart from that they've always worked really well with Houdini. I've had troubles with ATI's though and wouldn't use them again until I hear better things about them.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
252 posts
I've had a lot of frustrations with my 3DLabs Wildcat VP990 (that I won at Siggraph- wanna buy it?) with bad driver support for Houdini. I gave up and went back to my GeForce3.

Nothing but good things to say about my old cheap NVidia GeForce3 card and the relatively new GeForceFX Go chip in my laptop. I have heard a lot of the cheaper ATI Radeons don't do well with Houdini.

I would suggest the new NVidia 6800 or 6600 boards since they support the new Pixel Shader 3.0 specs which allow much more flexibility and capability in hardware rendering which will most likely soon be supported by many vendors. They also kick ass in gaming if you are so inclined (I am not…).

-Craig
  • Quick Links