VEX Builder for renderman?

3095   2   1
313 posts
I am new to Houdini 7. I know there is a new feature about building a renderman shading network with the aid of VEX builder.
But I could not find tutorial about this topic. Can anyone help me to start? Cause I am very interested to learn!

Thanks
7714 posts
The workflow is pretty much the same as doing regular VOPs. Instead of putting down a “VEX Surface Shader” VOPnet, you put down a “RSL Surface Shader” VOPnet. There are of course differences in the actual low-level VOPs due to language differences but it's mostly the same.
18 posts
Brucelay… when I started off with VEX, I realized how much similar it was to renderman…. I then found out one can make rman shaders in houdini….
check out the videos on rendering http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/houdini_video/by_topic/rendering/index.html [sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au]
Also another tip is to right click on the vex shader nodes and click on view code from VOP network you can copy and paste the code and change it up and make you own .sl files…. call it cheating… I call it education
hope this helps….
  • Quick Links