time lapse style shoots with waving tips, and uneven speed

2875   2   1
119 posts
hi, i want to grow things (not using l-systems) .. very simply, my sop chain is :

curve (the final length and shape of the shoot) > resample > carve (animated to grow shoot)

i want to do 2 things to this…

1 - to grow the shoot in an erratic way ( so the carve moves up the second U with a slightly random noisy motion (i assume generated by a noise equation somehow), currently the equation in the second u is just `$F/200` creating a smooth growth over 200 frames

2 - to wiggle the very tip of the shoot (the point where the carve u is currently at) like its searching for light (so to somehow attach an animated deformation to the last 3 or 4 points that the carve has passed.. (i imagine this may be somewhat more complex than the first problem)

cheers all,

Mark
2199 posts
Try this:

$F/200+noise($F/100,$F/100,$F/100)*0.5

The 100 divisor controls how rapidly the noise function varies and the *0.5 is how much it varies the initial value.

For the second part of your problem try this:
Sort your line after the carve so that point zero is always at the top using a sort sop.
Follow this up with a soft transform sop

Then put
point(“../sort1”,0,“P”,0) point(“../sort1”,0,“P”,1) point(“../sort1”,0,“P”,2)

in the pivot point px py pz channels.

And put
noise($F/100,$F/100,$F/100)*30
in the rz channel
Set the softfall off to something sensible, and maybe animate it over time so that it grows from 0 to the radius you want.

That should get you started….
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
119 posts
cool.. thats getting there.. only one small problem.. my shoot twists back on itself.. adn the soft transform affects the earlier points on the spline when it gets close.. is there any way of excluding points after say, point 14 so that they are no longer affected by the soft transform?
  • Quick Links