Search - User list
Full Version: I Cant Merge Spheres, boxes etc within Houdini Apprentice
Root » Technical Discussion » I Cant Merge Spheres, boxes etc within Houdini Apprentice
morrowyn
Hello,

im trying to merge a couple of geometry(speheres, boxes) within an object, but when i wanna merge , no merge operator appears when i left click, and all i get is the little square and a dotted line. Nothing happens and i stay in this ‘merge’ mode, but when i press <esc> i return to normal mode. and the little square disappears.

I dont know whats wrong with my version. I use 5.5 build 208.

If anyone knows the solution to this problem, let me know.

greetz,
Morrowyn
stevenong
Hi Morrowyn,

When you have the little square & dotted line, all you have to do is to Left Click again. This will put the Merge SOP down where the mouse cursor is. Hitting the “Esc” key will cancel the OP, hence you got nothing.

If you would like to have the SOP created immediately, go to Edit -> Preferences, click on "General“ & select ”Tiles“. Then check the ”Place New Tiles Immediately“ option. There's also an option to ”Scroll to the New Tile".

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
morrowyn
I tried the <left-click> without any luck, this doesnt work to create the operator merge.
then i tried the ‘place tiles immediately’ option, also without luck.

I also tried reinstalling it, also didnt work.

greetz…
morrowyn
oh btw, this is my hardware if it could be any help;

video cards:
geforce4 mx440 (agp)
geforce2 mx400 (pci)
stealth3 s530 (pci)
drivers: nvidia detonators , diamond s3

cpu: dual pentium3 667mhz
mobo: asus cuv4x-d
1gb sdram
morrowyn
and windows 2000
stevenong
First of all, can I assume you have 3 different machines, each using one of the video cards above? Or are they all on the same machine? In this case, may I know which card is being used to run Houdini?

Secondly, the Diamond Stealth card is not certified to run Houdini though you can Houdini in software OpenGL mode with it. If you really want to try it out, please go to the link below.

Next, the GeForce2 & GeForce4 cards should be able to run Houdini which brings me to my next question. May I know which version of the Nvidia Detonator are you using?

The problem you're facing sounds like a driver issue with the GeForce2 card which has been fixed by Nvidia. I would recommend downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia [nvidia.com] & try that out.

If the latest Detonator drivers still fails, you can try setting the following environment variable & see if it helps you:

HOUDINI_OGL_DBL_BUFFER_FIX
Some graphics boards (notably quadro and gforce) boards have
problems writing simultaneously to the front and back buffers. By
setting this variable to 1, Houdini will only write to one buffer
at a time.

Please go to this link [sidefx.com] for an example on how to set environment variables in Windows and replace “HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE” with “HOUDINI_OGL_DBL_BUFFER_FIX”.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
morrowyn
First of all , these video cards are in one system.
Second , i use this nvidia detonator driver:
“ OS: Windows 2000
Version: 40.72
File Size: 12.3 MB
Release Date: November 11, 2002
WHQL Certified ”

and third , i tried the

HOUDINI_OGL_DBL_BUFFER_FIX = 1 variable in the set environment variables in windows 2000.

it still doesnt work. When i merge, the little square stays under my mouse cursor and nothing happens, until i press <esc>. The merge operator still doesnt appear.

greetz,
morrowyn
stevenong
Hi,

Please try turning off Double Buffering under Edit -> Preferences & uncheck “Enable Double Buffering”.

If the above fails, please try running Houdini in software OpenGL mode with the instructions at this link [sidefx.com].

Pardon my limited knowledge with multiple graphics cards but how do you know which card is used to run Houdini? I would like to suggest removing the two PCI cards & then try running Houdini but that will probably cause some inconvenience.

Please let me know how it goes.

Cheers!
steven
morrowyn
Ok,
i removed all pci video cards, without any result.

i also followed that double buffer advice, without any result.

greetz,
morrowyn
stevenong
Hi Morrowyn,

This is really weird. I'm very sure there are others users with the GeForce4 MX440 running Houdini without any problems.

Are you able to create other SOPs? Or do you get the same problem?

I would presume you created the Box SOP & Sphere SOP in the viewport right?

I'm not sure whether would you like to try installing a newer driver or even an older one? Please go here [nvidia.com] for a list of drivers, both new & old.

Please let me know how it goes.

Cheers!
steven
morrowyn
In the viewport i can create SOPs etc. but when in the Network Editor viewer,
i cant create anything , when using TAB etc.
I cant disconnect two operators from eachother.After i created a merge in the viewport. Since left-clicking doesnt work in this network editor viewer.

I cant insert a new SOP in between two operators either or branch new SOPs.

I also reinstalled older nvidia drivers, still the same.
version: nvidia 30.82

greetz,
morrowyn
stevenong
Hi Morrowyn,

This is really weird. You have this problem immediately after installing Houdini right?

If you don't mind, maybe we can do this:

Please run Houdini in software OpenGL mode (set HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE to 1) which should allow you to use Houdini. The only downside is Houdini might not be as interactive.

In the meantime, I'll check with R&D on this.

Cheers!
steven
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.