Search - User list
Full Version: Neon Sign - Part 2 - Rendering
Root » Work in Progress » Neon Sign - Part 2 - Rendering
Keith Johnson
Finally got around to shading and rendering this project. As before, I recorded a time-lapse of the entire process as a pseudo-tutorial. Check it out here if you're interested:

https://vimeo.com/125116427 [vimeo.com]
SreckoM
Looks great Keith, thank you!
anon_user_37409885
Nice Keith! A Houdini master in express-time!
Doudini
great work!
Werner Ziemerink
awesome videos Keith.

Thanks for taking the time to make them.
Keith Johnson
Thanks guys. Having fun with Houdini.

Werner - thanks! Glad you find the videos useful.
Keith Johnson
There was a question on the vimeo comment board about render settings, so I thought I'd elaborate a bit here.

Renderer was PBR, and after tweaking render parameters in a bracketing/wedge fashion, I found the two most important variables in achieving quality versus speed were the pixel samples and noise level. Those are the main numbers I tweaked to flip between a low-quality/fast preview render and the hi-quality final render. The other variable that's a bit hard to quantify, was that I had to increase the shading quality on a few key pieces of geometry (I did this on a per object basis - bumping it up from the default 1 to something around 3-4). As I state in the video, this was mainly to fix what looked like an odd dicing error on large n-gons that were utilizing gridded bump maps to simulate panel seams.

As for the other settings - I found a law of diminishing returns kick-in with the Max Ray samples. It appeared anything over a value of 6 did little to the render. Also, on the limits tab, it was important to keep the Reflect, Refract, and Diffuse numbers as low as possible. Any values above 2,2,and 1 respectively, achieved only a minor bump in quality, but a huge increase in render times. So that's basically the unscientific way I arrived at my render settings! Screenshots for both the low-quality and final-quality settings are attached.

I found with low-quality settings, interactively tweaking the shading and lighting was pretty good…at least good enough for me to move forward without getting frustrated. As I state in the video. With the final quality setting, rendering at 2000 x 2000, the rendertimes were generally around 8 hours. This is on a 2nd generation i7 machine, capable of turboboost above 3 GHz with 12 gb ram. One thing I did notice is that my machine was very rapidly using up ALL of the ram with no headroom, so I imagine it would be a good thing to upgrade that. Thankfully, Mantra does not just crash on you when you hit the ram ceiling, like V-Ray used to be notorious for. Still, 8 hours for a 2000x2000 render seems a little steep. And it still may have been too noisy for animation. This didn't bother me for a small test project, but it could be an issue later if I do full animation work for a production.

Really though, the speed was my only gripe. Mantra was incredibly stable, reliable, and predictable. I don't think I had a single crash or freeze while working with the interactive render, and the dicing error I stated above was the only unexpected surprise that required troubleshooting.
mandrake0
in these post there are some tips for the rendering speed up's the 9 hours i find are very long:

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/16507-corona-render/page-2#entry101045 [forums.odforce.net]
http://forums.odforce.net/topic/22080-suppress-small-artefact-in-pbr-render/ [forums.odforce.net]

btw. a absolutly nice job you have done… :-)
sl0throp
EDIT - renders are looking really good…

I think your settings can be adjusted. I think your noise settings are too extreme and your min and max ray samples too low, and I think you can probably turn stochastic transparency off.

I can still see noise under your neon lights that I think will clear up with the min max ray samples. For final quality I often start right around here

Pixel samples = 3 X 3 to 5 X5 - tune up but start at 3 X 3
Min Ray samples = 2
Max Ray samples = 12 ( Sometime it goes up to 18)
Noise level = .02 (I have seen in a post that this is less then the grain we would get from standard film)

I think that also…

You can increase your diffuse bounces to 2 or 3 - I don't see much of a time hit here in my testing, some but not much

Color limit = 5

Mantra is slow, but not that slow. I have certainly done production rendering at even larger sizes much faster than that.

Hopefully Redshift which I use in Maya will be available for Houdini soon, as that renderer is super nice and wicked fast…
Keith Johnson
Nice! Thanks for the rendering tips guys. I have no doubt I can get these render times lower. With time I'll have a better feel for it.
Tobias Hoffmann
wow - nice work!
Timm Wagener
Nice!
mzigaib
What happened to the videos Keith? It seems they were taken out of the air.

That was really a awesome reference that I was trying to show to my Houdini migrating friends.
mzigaib
Thanks for the links, there is also a 3rd part 3rd part [youtube.com]
But this is just the modeling part it is missing the render part, which is really a shame it is a awesome result.
verysame
mzigaib
Thanks for the links, there is also a 3rd part 3rd part [youtube.com]
But this is just the modeling part it is missing the render part, which is really a shame it is a awesome result.

You're right, didn't notice there was the render part too.
It seems all the links around are pointing to the same Vimeo account.
Too bad there isn't a copy of those on YouTube.
Nicolas Heluani
Nice, but I cannot seem to be able to open the video anymore. Can you repost it?
Toby Williams-Ellis2
Hi Keith,

I got loads out of your tutorials and was really interested in the one that you did with the pendulum wave, which I always meant to go back to look at at a later date, but then discovered had disappeared. Is this something you might repost at some point? I really enjoyed the way you'd explain your whole process beginning to end, including the source of your inspiration. Thanks for putting them up in the first place, in any case
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.