Search - User list
Full Version: Noise field advected points
Root » Work in Progress » Noise field advected points
animatrix_
Advected points through a noise field generated procedurally at render time via a CVEX shader using a custom gap filling method:

I know there are some holes but for the thickness I have got, it's not that bad

I would be interested to see other approaches to achieve a smoother seamless point filling without losing much detail.
Tesla_s_fan
awesome
animatrix_
Thanks man
goldfarb
looks like crap…
animatrix_
I get more of a peanut butter impression
buki
custom gap filling method….now i'm interested can you please share some thoughts on that?
animatrix_
It's not very special and would work for terrain like point cloud, but here is how I did it:

1. Get N nearest points for each point and compute the current point's normal by using each pair of nearest points sequentially with the current point, forming a triangle, average the result.

2. Create random points around each point inside a cone using a fixed angle. I used 60.

3. The generated points become very round like a sphere so I flattened them by 60% along the normal.

If there is a better way, please let me know
animatrix_
This is how the point cloud looks after the normals are computed:

vinyvince
animatrix_
It's not very special and would work for terrain like point cloud, but here is how I did it:

1. Get N nearest points for each point and compute the current point's normal by using each pair of nearest points sequentially with the current point, forming a triangle, average the result.

2. Create random points around each point inside a cone using a fixed angle. I used 60.

3. The generated points become very round like a sphere so I flattened them by 60% along the normal.

If there is a better way, please let me know

Not that i have your expertise but this is a subject who interest me. I have to say itùs not clear to may why you have to do a custom gap filling method for a noise field generated procedurally at render time (could you tell why?) but i could see an immediate use to cleanup scan data . With the addition to also sample the shading information for each points (color and other shading attributes)

Did someone has made an example by chance?

Also, as you ask for suggestion, i guess i missed something but adding randomly x numbers of points inside the cone which result in a sphere looking rebuilt area, and not trying to use the geo attribute of the surrounding area like the gradient,curvature…?

Thanks guys