Cop rMP

3538   5   1
313 posts
did anyone successfully import the cop's ramp into Vex builder (for building rman shader)?
I went through the tutorial below but could not get it worked.

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/FrequentlyAskedQuestions [odforce.net]

I input “opimg/img1/ramp1” for the texture path,
but the node turned yellow and said “cannot have channels which depend on time”

Can anyone show me how to import a Cop's ramp into Vex builder for building a rman shading network?
2199 posts
That's actually a tip for accessing them into shaders built from VEX not for importing them directly into the builder.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
313 posts
That's actually a tip for accessing them into shaders built from VEX not for importing them directly into the builder.

Could you pls show me this tip? Because I may want to build a shader with circular ramps. In mtor, the ramp from slim is already quite good.
2199 posts
Well it just means if you make a Vex shader and one of the parameters is for inputing the location of a texture map you don't need to point it at a file on disk you can point it directly at a cop in a cop network. The cop that you point it at doesn't have to be a bitmap it can be a ramp cop. That's all there is to it, it's not something you code for it's just Houdini functionality. Just happens to be a rather hidden bit of functionality.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
313 posts
I still got “cannot have channel which depend on time ” on the node while making a texture parameter link to the COP's ramp!
Can someone show me how to link a ramp (e.g. cop's ramp) to Vex builder?
941 posts
brucelay
I still got “cannot have channel which depend on time ” on the node while making a texture parameter link to the COP's ramp!
Can someone show me how to link a ramp (e.g. cop's ramp) to Vex builder?
Notice that Simon said shader, not “Vex Builder”. A subtle distinction but it makes all the difference in this case.
You can't have time-dependent values for VOP parameters, but you can put any expression you like in a shader parameter.

But here comes the part that I don't think you're going to like…

IMPORTANT: This technique will, AFAIK, only work with Mantra; not PRMan (!!)

For PRMan you'd have to first save the ramp as a .tx file and use *that* as a texture.
Mario Marengo
Senior Developer at Folks VFX [folksvfx.com] in Toronto, Canada.
  • Quick Links