How to multi select similar sub nodes from top level nodes

8880   7   2
161 posts
In Softimage it is easy to have a parameter page refresh with a multi-selection. For example, if I view the parameters of an operator and then select multiple objects, the parameter page will recycle to show a parameter page with parameters that if changed, will change the values of all operators of the selected objects.

Houdini has a similar behaviour. If I display the transform parameters of an object and then select other objects, then the parameter view will be shared for all selected objects. This works because the transform parameters are on the top level of the object. How can we achieve this for sub-nodes of the objects? Let's suppose all our selected objects have a subdivide node inside them, all having the same name. How can we easily select all those subdivide nodes and display a parameter view that will affect all of those?
918 posts
It's currently not possible to select multiple nodes/subnodes in the tree view or else this would just work. Here are some options:

1. the parameter spreadsheet: It can be intimidating, yet very powerful. Read the help card and play around.

2. promote the parameter from your subdivide node to the top level of your geometry node.
On your geometry node's parameter pane select the cogwheel and edit parameter interface. Leave this window open and dive into your geo node. Now bring up the parameters for the subdivide node and drag the ‘depth’ parameter into the edit parameter windows middle column and drop it onto ‘root’. Hit apply/accept, exit the subnodes, now you have the depth parameter in the parameter pane on your geometry node. Adjusting ‘depth’ would work as with other parameters at that level. You'd have to do this for all of your nodes though :?

I hope this helps.
Andy
387 posts
Open network view. Switch it's layout to List (Tree) View (Shift+T), then Under RMB Menu set List Order: to Tree

Then you can select multiple nodes at once. If they are same type Parameters Pane will show note: “x nodes selected” (or other number) and you can adjust their parameters at once.

(Be sure your panes are in Follow Selection mode)

But Parameter Spreadsheet is much more useful.
918 posts
Wow, I had no idea. Thanks a bunch pezetko.
Staff
2540 posts
One way to do this is to use the Network pane type “Tree View” option and not the Tree View pane type. I know where this will end up so feel free to submit RFE's to have us improve the Tree View Pane.

The Network pane tree view option allows multiple selections (yay) of any operators anywhere in the tree. All the selected nodes will be collected in the Parameter pane.

Steps to configure the Network pane to give you a better tree view than the Tree View pane:

1. RMB in the network and choose the menu option “View Nodes As List” or hit the Shift-T hotkey combo.
2. Open the Display Options (the eye icon in the upper right of the Network Pane).
3. In the Display Options dialog, go to the List View tab and in the right column of options press the “tree” radio button.

The Network view should now have a decent tree view where you can expand all the folders (RMB on folder for options), select whatever nodes you want and they will all aggregate in to the parameter pane.

Choose a good representative node for the entire node selection in the parameter pane top menu and tweak the parameters away.

Tip: If you use the MMB on any parameters, you will be making a relative change to all the parameters. If you type in a value, that value will be used to set all the parameters to the same value.

If you want to work in a more controlled environment, use Bundles. Bundles can collect any nodes and perform the same tasks. Bundles are persistent. Bundles can be referenced anywhere nodes are referenced preceded with an “@” ampersand.

As above, selecting a bundle will also cause the Parameter pane to cover this selection.
There's at least one school like the old school!
161 posts
Thanks guys, I have read all your suggestions and I think the Parameter Spreadsheet is probably going to be my go to solution because of the possibility to use wildcards in the masking options

Thanks again for your help
918 posts
Thanks again Jeff, time to consolidate those Tree Views ;-) Quite confusing at times.

Also, I managed to crash Houdini…

1. In the network editor switch to ‘View nodes as list’
2. in the view options (D key) in the ‘List View’ tab select ‘Tree" from the ’List Order' on the right
3. in the listed tree click the world icon or root ‘/’
4. kaboom

Submitted as BUG ID=69582
Andy

edit: the bug was just signed off as ‘fixed’. SESI are the best!
636 posts
Andy58
Thanks again Jeff, time to consolidate those Tree Views ;-) Quite confusing at times.

Also, I managed to crash Houdini…

1. In the network editor switch to ‘View nodes as list’
2. in the view options (D key) in the ‘List View’ tab select ‘Tree" from the ’List Order' on the right
3. in the listed tree click the world icon or root ‘/’
4. kaboom

Submitted as BUG ID=69582
Andy

edit: the bug was just signed off as ‘fixed’. SESI are the best!

I also sent a bug report yesterday
  • Quick Links