zdepth and transparency/alpha

2361   1   1
55 posts
hmm, having problems….is this common?

I have quite a big camera move, so i cant fake the zdepth

- for the test im doing, the camera kinda swoops past a landscape and moves up to a person (at this stage a photo of a person projected onto a plane with alpha cutout)

The landscape makes use of alpha maps too to keep some fine details (projected textures), howver they are not working at all.

The alpha for the person IS working, but it is doesnt quite fit.

Any suggestions as to what is going on?

Cheers

J
1631 posts
Hey J,
JohnnyBGoode
The landscape makes use of alpha maps too to keep some fine details (projected textures), howver they are not working at all.
Can you be more specific to what is “not working at all” please? What shader are you using?

The alpha for the person IS working, but it is doesnt quite fit.
Again, how does it not quite fit? You mean there is an outline? Visible edges? Have you tried blurring the edges of the alpha slightly? An image of the render will definitely help. Same goes for the landscape.

Also, have you tried rendering the “person” separately from the background then comping them together in COPs, for example, which gives you control. Plus, you don't have to re-render everything when you want to make a change.

Any suggestions as to what is going on?
What is the resolution & format of the images you are using? I would recommend converting them to Random Access Textures (RAT) or .rat files for better quality control. They are also more memory efficient when rendering with mantra. You can convert them with COPs or load up the images with mplay then go to File -> Save current frame & give it a .rat extension.

In addition, go to the Render tab of the Objects, turn on “Shading Quality” & increase it to 2 or more. If you're rendering with motion blur, also increase the Super Sample of the mantra ROP.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links