Many inputs on HE Asset slows down Maya UI

3214   5   2
10 posts
Hiya!

I have a HE Asset which has nearly 200 separate inputs, which seems to cause Maya (2015) to freeze for several minutes whilst it builds the node UI / template. Is there any way to fix this?

It could be a Maya bug, but whenever i try to ESC out of it, it throws errors relating to AEhoudiniAssetTemplate.mel which makes me think it may be HE related.

Every time I select the Asset and have the attribute editor displayed, it seems to rebuild the UI (and in my case freezes Maya)

At the moment I don't have a choice in my setup to have one input for all the items, but I am looking into alternatives!

Cheers,

Daniel
818 posts
I made a test asset that has 200 inputs. Sometimes the UI shows up fairly quickly, sometimes it takes much longer. Are you seeing this too?

I also noticed it takes much longer if I switch from one asset to another asset.
Andrew / アンドリュー
10 posts
Yes Ive noticed it too. Sometimes it is quick to load, other times it takes a minute or two. Any ideas what might cause it? I think it might be the attribute editor UI rebuilding
818 posts
Yeah, it looks like when switching from one asset node to another, Maya is somehow slow when removing all the input UIs and rebuilding them.

If you can modify the AEhoudiniAssetTemplate.mel, you could make the tab collapsed by default. This seems to workaround the slowness. At almost the bottom of the file, there's a line like:
editorTemplate -beginLayout “Inputs” -collapse false;
If you change it to:
editorTemplate -beginLayout “Inputs” -collapse true;
the tab will become collapsed by default.

It might be better to make the tab collapsed by default. I think someone on the forum also mentioned maybe have it collapsed by default when the inputs exceed a certain number.
Andrew / アンドリュー
10 posts
Awesome! I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help!
1799 posts
I think that was me, and yes I think its the same issue

Maya's attribute editor gets pretty slow when you go past 50+ inputs (which is necessary often in Maya due to having to pass multiple meshes as separate inputs).

I think having that logic as default makes sense as anyone who is making more than 4 inputs generally knows where to find them in the attribute editor (and is most likely wiring them with python)
-G
  • Quick Links