Using Houdini Escape: Select/Edit Geometry doesn't work

6558   6   2
5 posts
Dear users:

How do I select/edit geometry such as points on a primitive in Houdini Escape? I imagine it works the same for all Houdini products.

When I create a new Box SOP and try to select points or “Edit Geometry” I don't get a unique cursor (arrow) and the icons on the left of the viewport don't get updated to reflect the ability to select points/primitives/etc.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
7714 posts
It's the same. Maybe your viewer is not in SOPs?
5 posts
The viewport is in SOP level and I don't get the selection option.

I was doing the tutorial for the monkey (UV Pelt) and I also got a strange thing. The tutorial told me that I would be prompted to select boundary edges and nothing happened. I was not prompted and I see no way to select these boundary edges.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.
276 posts
Are you laying the SOPs down in the viewport or the network? Make sure that when you hit ‘Tab’ to select UVPelt, you are over the viewport. If not, just hit ‘Enter’ in the viewport that should start up the operator. Then you can click the ‘Reselct’ button (towards the bottom on the left toolbar in the viewport).

George.
65 posts
After creating for example a box sop and laying down an edit sop,
you need to make sure your selection is in the mode you require,
eg hitting 1 allows you to select points, 2 edges, 3 etc…

Also make sure the box sop is of the type you require ie polygon, nurbs,mesh…
And remember if it's nurbs trying to select and edge will prove fruitless unless
you have the hulls visible, which can be been from the column of icons on the right
of the viewer pane…

A quick tip is to hit the = key, as doing so will allow you to edit points, edges, etc..
without having to click on the reselect button every time…

Hope this helps…

Tom
5 posts
looks like I had to use an edit SOP in order to allow points, primitives, etc. to be selected? Thanks for the insight.

I'm wondering. Do I have to use an edit SOP or could I use another SOP as well (transform, maybe) in order to select geometry?
65 posts
The transform SOP is great for positioning/relocating/manipulating, but as you work with it
it will keep on laying down new transform sops everytime you select a new
point/face, etc….

So, it's great for manipulating procedually as each sop laid down can be labelled
and will allow for better procedural control.

But the edit SOP allows you to manipulate an object.point/faces, etc.. until you
are hapy with the result, remmember with the Edit SOP you can also use the
sculpt mode, which is great for organic manipulation…Don't forget the Peak option,
which allows you to move points/faces,etc.. along their normals (GREAT)..

Hope this helps..
Tom
  • Quick Links