IS Houdini fx ready for OSX El Capitan

7234   17   1
69 posts
Is it safe to update to osx EL CAPITAN?
4189 posts
Let us know if it works Best bet is to partition a drive and install El Cap there to test.

Good review of El Cap here:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/os-x-10-11-el-capitan-the-ars-technica-review/ [arstechnica.com]

Seems to have some security features that may affect apps?
181 posts
Sounds like OpenGL hasn't changed much in this release, so maybe application stability will be about the same.

Metal is great and all, but Apple’s focus on its new graphics API appears to be coming at the expense of OpenGL. According to the OpenGL Extensions Viewer, El Capitan supports the same OpenGL level that Yosemite and Mavericks did: full support for OpenGL 4.1, with a couple of 4.2 extensions thrown in.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/os-x-10-11-el-capitan-the-ars-technica-review/7/#h2 [arstechnica.com]
4189 posts
Hard to say about stability, no new features can still mean bug fixes. So worth testing, though, Twod did just write on Odforce that a nasty AMD (M295X driver) bug has been patched not in this release of El Cap but in the 10.11.2 update to come!

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/23870-crash-on-4-view-command-b/ [forums.odforce.net]
69 posts
Lol I was trying to avoid being the Guinea pig this time around lol. I may very well have to partition a drive
Staff
5156 posts
Chronon
Sounds like OpenGL hasn't changed much in this release, so maybe application stability will be about the same.

Read the same article myself yesterday. While they aren't adding any new features, they do seem to be doing maintenance on the drivers.

With Metal arriving on the desktop, I'm sceptical if OpenGL on Mac will ever go beyond GL4.1. Sad, because the GL4.1 spec was released over 5 years ago, and there are some really useful features in GL4.2+ for efficient rendering and effects.
69 posts
twod does houdini work with el capitan, or should we wait, since they're working on drivers etc
Staff
5156 posts
One of the developers here has OSX 10.11 and said Houdini works on it, but I haven't tried it myself.
4189 posts
Just installed El Cap on Mac Mini. Houdini seems fine.
69 posts
coooool here goes lol
20 posts
I know that intel graphics are not supported by Houdini on osx(my macbook pro has intel iris). Houdini 14 used to hang and crash on me as soon as I added a plane. That was a few months ago. After upgrading, I installed build 14.0.444. Well, its not crashing, nor is it hanging but the viewport is sloooow–and I mean slow for just moving a plane. Maybe it will improve with Houdini 15 or the next OSX version. Until then, bootcamp seems to be the best option.
32 posts
Try disabling “Beam Sync” in OS X if your OGL feels sluggish.
It'll yield a little faster frame rate that can be tested with OpenGL Extensions Viewer app.

Beam Sync can be disabled with a free PrefPane called “Secrets” or an old school developer app called “Quartz Debug.app” (it has to be forced quit in order for the setting to stick across reboots). :idea:

They're maybe other apps that can perform the same task but this is what I've discovered thus far. Possible sidefx to disabling BeamSync is certain video streaming codecs may play out of sync with their audio track. I've experienced this happening occasionally with YouTube playback of Apple Keynote but when that occur I simply watch the stream directly on their site & it play back just fine.
Houdini Indie 15.5.547
NVidia GeForce GT 650M-1GB-GDDR5 OGL 4.1_OCL 1.2
MacBook Pro Retina 15.4"_OSX 10.11.6_Intel Quad i7 @ 2.3GHz x8(Auto-Overclock 3.3GHz Turbo Boost)_16GB-1600MHz DDR3L_256GB-SSD
Magic Mouse2
99 posts
Houdini doesn't do vsync in OS X so there's no reason to disable beam sync (vsync).
69 posts
i ugraded to el Capitan, now when i try to render a frame in mantra its not rendering anything, the timer says 3 hours and counting but no window pops up to show the render viewport can anyone else test this
houdini fx 14.444
69 posts
ok i restarted houdini and now its working
69 posts
ok i restarted houdini and now its working
35 posts
While trying to install H15 the .dmg doesn't get recognised..and says disk image couldn't be opened I tried downloading another build even it errors out..
My H14 installed fine and runs fine..
4189 posts
Check the file size of the downloaded .dmg - H15 is now ~800MB compared to H12 that was ~330MB, so it's quite easy to have only a partial download.
  • Quick Links