Search - User list
Full Version: Technical rigging 5 workflow changes
Root » Houdini Lounge » Technical rigging 5 workflow changes
carlo_c
Hey guys, I'm just working through Houdini Technical Rigging 5, it's an absolute treasure trove of information but I was wondering something.

As it's a tutorial made in an older version of Houdini, while it's so far it's been no problems implementing what the tutorial shows (and it works great) would it be the way any of you would approach rigging a vehicle like this in the current version?

https://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/houdini-rigging-volume-5/advanced-vehicle-rigging [3dbuzz.com]
goldfarb
it's been a while since I watched that series…but from what I remember there is very little that has changed…

be sure to post any issues you might have
carlo_c
Just wanted to confirm I was able to follow it all without a problem. Probably one of the best tutorials I've seen on Houdini.

I wonder how much of it now might be better tackeld in VOPS/wrangles as opposed to expressions but still, this was a top training video.
midicon
Hey Carlo. I'm trying to build the IK to FK match buttons from Tech Rigging 3. have you worked through these at all? Have you built the IK FK snapping buttons?
carlo_c
I've only worked through tech rigging 5 but what's the problem exactly you're having, might be something I can help with anyway though I can't say I've had any experience building an IK to FK button ops:

Side note to this thread though: There were a couple of things that tripped me up along the way, mostly to do with the python scripting where what he wrote didn't quite work for me. It ended up just being case sensitivity and making sure slashes were put in the right places. Seemed to be a little more lenient for him in the video than me!
Henry Bullen
Hey Carlo,

long shot, I'm trying to get the wheel rotation script working this one >

tally = 0.0
for i in range(lvar('I')):
expression = ‘chopci(“../distanceTravelled”, $C,’ + str(int(i)) + ‘)’
tally += hscriptExpression(expression)

return tally

I'm just getting this error:

Error: Unable to evaluate expression (
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<stdin>”, line 3, in expression
TypeError: range() integer end argument expected, got float.
(/obj/WheelSpinChops/distanceTravelledToThisPoint/expr0)).

Any tips?
nvki
As the error msg suggests, you need to provide an integer value for range(). Try for i in range(int(lvar('I'))):
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.