Search - User list
Full Version: Ripple Solver Interact with object
Root » Work in Progress » Ripple Solver Interact with object
Joseph Langdon
Just wondering if anyone out there has any tips on getting the ripples to disperse from the object. I have attached a version that works how I want but I really want the object that is passing through to interact with the ripples.

Here is what I have so far.
http://dev.saatchi.no/smash/nuts/nuts_1.mp4 [dev.saatchi.no]

The end result I want to work like this…
https://vimeo.com/130774753 [vimeo.com]

The idea is to be able to swap out the .obj that passes through it…

Let me know if anyone can help.
pelos
riple solver works with metaballs.
you could do a volume out of the head, scatter points and copy metaballs to it,

run a sim of those metaballs to a plane with the ripple solver

then just then, make a Dbd volume out of that, and then convert it back to polygons.

if you need velocity attribute for blur you can transfer it from the original simulation.
Enivob
I think you might need a fluid solver for that.

Here is an example but play with the settings.
Joseph Langdon
I can't seem to open the file you supplied in houdini.
Enivob
Go ahead and upgrade your Houdini then. That file was made with the most recent version 15.0.313. In my experience, each install of Houdini has about a 2-3 month life expectancy, then the app goes stale.
pelos
i think with the ripple solver will be enough since you don't have any splashes (that can be faked with particles)
Joseph Langdon
Great - I would prefer to do it just with the ripple solver as I presume that I will need to buy houdini FX. I have just houdini and really just need an obj to move through a wall with ripples running off the object. Can anyone guide me through the steps on this or take a look at the original file I attached????
Joseph Langdon
Still canĀ“t open the file you attached after downloading latest version…
Joseph Langdon
As I said I really just want the ripple to to fall off the object as it moves through the wall - just like this. https://vimeo.com/130774753 [vimeo.com]

Is this possible with a standard copy of Houdini? I have attached my current setup if anyone can help that would be nice!
Joseph Langdon
Still no takers on this? As I said I am happy with what I have except I just want the ripples to interact with the obj
Joseph Langdon
Here is an update on where I am at. I think I am happy with the animation part but can=t seem to get things too smooth. It plays back a bit bitzy and not 100% smooth/// Anyone have any tips
sweDavvechan
Hello people!

I know this is an old post but I found out one way to make “fake collision.” I have been doing a boat simulation and wasn't allowed to use a flip sim because of speed and resources. I struggled quite a bit to find a solution to make the waves collide with the boat. But here is my solution to that

What I found out was that if you select and area and change the attribute of conservation or wavespeed to 0, then the ripples will collide with that area. So it's like a cheat way. But if your object are moving it's not enough to just plug it into the rest grid or initial grid. You need to do this with sop solver in dops. Entagma has a tutorial how to create ripples with a sop solver. I created a group of points and then put down create attribute node after that one and selected the group to make that have 0 conservation.

I hope this maybe can help a troubled soul
Catalysee
Hey guys! I found at least the ripple effect how to make it with an object, by using color and attribute wrangle, from this tutorial:
Your text to link here... [vimeo.com]

I just adjusted attribwrangle to y axis and pushed faces to + not -. It works perfectly. Of course, it may not have that nice sliding off the object part (which if you know how to do please let me know!).

Hope this helps someone tho. Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.