Do you see yourself using the 3ds Max plugin in production?

3686   5   1
402 posts
Tell us if you see yourself using this plugin in a production capacity (either in its current state or one with more functionality).

Just to be clear, no promises are made here. This is just a poll.
4 posts
From my early testing it seems promising to use in production but not quite there yet. I need to compare it against how it's implemented in maya but there seems to be some crazy transform inheritance for input meshes from max that makes it hard to see it being a solid tool yet.

It's possibly a bit of a pipe dream but amongst other things I had ambitions of being able to bring crowd through from Houdini to HE4max. I don't think that's something that would work without a lot of development and testing as it's such a complex system to begin with.

Dave
30 posts
I tested the engine in max a bit and I saw some things that were working so definetely I would used them in production. Other things are not working yet but as soon as they work I will use them in production.

If I waited for software to be perfect before using them in production I would still be using solely Mario Paint on the SNES.

I did a lot of FX work for this short: I, Pet Goat II [vimeo.com]
Another clip I created all 3D for: Iron Baby [youtube.com]
And this one too: Little Antman [youtube.com]
See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid! [turbosquid.com]
Some RnD involving PhoenixFD [strob.net]
1 posts
I'm new to Houdini, but my goal is to export everything out using Alembic.
1 posts
Hi, has been a while from the last response but I think is worthy to revive this thread.

I'm a technical artist on a preproduction in game company and I'm evaluating if we can integrate houdini in our workflow. We work on a proprietary engine and we are very 3dsMax dependent, all the geometry, the scenes, part of the game logic is edited through 3dsMax.

The current state of the plugin is maybe enough, but not desirable. I managed to recompile the plugin in order to use houdini 15.5 (instead of houdini 15.0) but I'm having some troubles to recompile for houdini 16 (I realize the API changes a lot). Also, I'm have not tried it yet, but for the moment I don't see a way to use inputs from max for the HDA, like using a spline to generate a fence. I don't know if this is possible using maya's plugin.

So, to summ up. I still having doubts if the plugin in the current state cover our needs. But with a small update probably it will.

Pd.: This is my first post but I hope is the first of many
1 posts
I Think it´s a little shame on sidefx for not have a descent and updated version of houdini engine for 3ds max! I think it´s a lot and lots of companies of VFX, game cinematics, and game developers that can use in the pipeline!

I don´t use Houdini in 3dsmax because we don´t have houdini engine in 3dsmax simple that!
If I want to use? of course I want! If other people want to use! for sure!

So PLS make it happens! Houdini Engine for 3ds max ASAP!!
  • Quick Links