Caching, Baking,... a hda?

2842   8   1
41 posts
I'm curious how to bake out sims created using an hda? Do you have to add the rop output/file node to the node tree and add it to the user interface or is there something else that can be done to bake the sim into actual data?

At the moment I use Alembic to export the scene and just re-open it in Cinema which works fine, but it means that I have to set up some of the things again (like adding the materials, exchanging some unnecessary objects in the abc,…) or copy them over into the abc scene. It also means that I have to go back into the original c4d scene everytime I have to do an update to the sim.
For the tests I'm doing this isn't much of a deal, but when it comes to client work that might be a bit frustrating.

Note: I use Alembic for a lot of tasks related to baking in Cinema. I find that all the other options of baking to keyframes don't always work for me. If I however need actual keyframes(which Alembic doesn't provide) I export the scene again as an FBX. Which isn't the most straight forward way to work but it gets the job done.
342 posts
Hi Maui,
I guess you are referring to simulation particles OR the mesh result of a simulation.
Both are easy to cache out using a file SOP (and a couple more nodes).

I have created two assets, one for reading Houdini cache sequences, and one for writing them from inside C4D.

The “Cache_Reader_01A.hda” needs a file input. After selecting one of the cached files, replace the number with “$F” or “$F2” e.t.c. depending on the padding.

The “Cache_Writer_01A.hda” needs a valid path with “$F” or “$F2” e.t.c. for padded numbering, and any geometry or particle Group in the input field.

Please install them in Houdini as well and see the setup.
Try them in C4D and tell me if they work.

p.s. I'm using an “Attribute Delete” SOP called “ParticleGroup” in the “Cache_Writer_01A.hda” to delete the id of the written particles AFTER they are written, otherwise you get duplicate particles inside C4D.

Attachments:
Cache_Writer_01A.hda (10.4 KB)
Cache_Reader_01A.hda (9.2 KB)

41 posts
Hey noseman,
thanks for the quick response. I guess you forgot to upload the assets as I can't see them in the post.

In my case it wasn't a particle simulation but a fracture asset that destroys provided C4d geo https://vimeo.com/144210905 [vimeo.com] but I don't think it makes a difference as the file and rop nodes don't care as far as I know what they write to disk

Best
342 posts
both assets where uploaded in the original post. I have no idea why you can't see them, as I can.
Log in and out, and if you still can't see them, PM me with an email and I'll send them to you.
I'll see if I can get them onto the Orbolt store as well, but I need to talk to SideEffects.

Cheers
41 posts
Yeah now I can see them
No idea why but I guess I was just not logged in. Thanks again
342 posts
You are welcome.
Please scrutinize them and tell me if they work as expected, as I have done vey basic testing.

Cheers
9 posts
noseman
Hi Maui,
I guess you are referring to simulation particles OR the mesh result of a simulation.
Both are easy to cache out using a file SOP (and a couple more nodes).

I have created two assets, one for reading Houdini cache sequences, and one for writing them from inside C4D.

The “Cache_Reader_01A.hda” needs a file input. After selecting one of the cached files, replace the number with “$F” or “$F2” e.t.c. depending on the padding.

The “Cache_Writer_01A.hda” needs a valid path with “$F” or “$F2” e.t.c. for padded numbering, and any geometry or particle Group in the input field.

Please install them in Houdini as well and see the setup.
Try them in C4D and tell me if they work.

p.s. I'm using an “Attribute Delete” SOP called “ParticleGroup” in the “Cache_Writer_01A.hda” to delete the id of the written particles AFTER they are written, otherwise you get duplicate particles inside C4D.

Hi, I know this thread is quite old but I am trying to get your bgeo loader to work.
Somehow it does not read the bgeo file. Is there anything else I have to do besides:
_load the digital asset file
_specifiy the file path to the bgeo
_change the name type so it reads it as file range
?

Thanks!
10 posts
I'm in the same spot as lurklurkson. I can get the write asset to write me a sequence of .bgeo or .obj, whatever I specify. However, I cannot get the read asset to read the sequence. My read file would be something like this “DData/Cache/test1/cache_$F2.bgeo”

However, no success.

Any ideas?
342 posts
Can you please specify C4D version (including the decimal in the version number), and maybe attach a frame or two from the .bgeo

cheers
  • Quick Links