UE 4.10.4 not recognizing .otl file extensions

6442   5   1
15 posts
Hello!

As the title suggest, I am unable to import .otl files into my UE 4.10.4 project. I have tried placing the .otl file in my content folder for my project but the asset doesn't show up in the engine folder view.

I have the latest version of Houdini and have tried re-installing both the houdini apprentice and houdini engine for unreal.

Is this a known issue with a possible solution?

Thank you!
453 posts
I don't know whether that is a bug or intentional, but it should be possible to save the .otl as an .HDA. And as far as I know, .HDA is the new standard tool format since H14.
173 posts
Both legacy otl/otlc and hda/hdalc files should work. Most likely the plugin is not loaded or is disabled. Please verify it is installed by inspecting the project settings and seeing whether there's a Houdini Engine entry there; if it is there, please verify that the versions match.

Thanks!
1 posts
Unreal 4.10.4

Houdini FX 15 production build Apprentice

Houdini-Engine-Indie 15.0 installed in License Administrator

Installed 3 times but there are no plugin installed in UE4 and cannot recognize otl or HDA any of it… just telling ‘failed to import… ~~ ’

am I missing something? cannot follow Vimeo tutorials in UE4
453 posts
You can install the UE4 Houdini Engine plug-in manually. I don't know whether it is the right solution for your case. You could also try to install a different daily build. (I would certainly try that first.)

If you want to try installing manually:
Go to your equivalent of:
C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 15.0.410\engine\unreal\4.10\HoudiniEngine
(adjust where necessary). Here you see the plug-in that should have been installed into the Unreal Engine.
Open
README.md with notepad (or something like that) and follow instructions within for manual installation.

Instructions from the file:
01. Have a local copy of Unreal Engine 4.10 checked out. Inside Unreal Engine copy navigate to Engine/Plugins/Runtime .
02. Clone the Houdini Engine Unreal plugin into this folder. Make sure the checked out folder is named HoudiniEngine .
03. Download and install the correct build of 64-bit Houdini.
04. Verify you have Houdini installed and it matches the version our Plugin is using. Easiest way is to look in commit history or look inside Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs file (Houdini Version field). We no longer require you to add Houdini bin folder to PATH as we now load libHAPI dynamically.
05. Generate Visual Studio solution (by running GenerateProjectFiles.bat) and build Unreal Engine (either x64 Debug_Editor/UE4Editor-Debug or x64 Develop_Editor/UE4Editor).
06. When starting Unreal Engine editor, go to Plugins menu and enable HoudiniEngine plugin (it's in Rendering section).
07. Restart Unreal Engine.
08. You should now be able to load (import OTL files and drop OTL files into Content Browser) Houdini Digital Assets.
09. Once you have a Houdini Digital Asset in Content Browser you should be able to drag it into Editor viewport. This will spawn a new Houdini Asset Actor. Geometry cooking will be done in a separate thread and geometry will be displayed once the cooking is complete. At this point you will be able to see asset parameters in the Details panel. Modifying any of the parameters will force asset to recook and possibly update its geometry.
173 posts
Very nice, thank you DASD!

You are possibly running in the issue of our Houdini installer not being able to install Unreal plugin to a custom location. It's a known limitation of the installer which we use. At the moment we assume that you install Unreal Engine to the default c:\ Program Files location. In that case everything should work, provided you selected ‘install Unreal Engine plugin’ option in the installer.

We are going to look into fixing the installer, but it's not very high on our priority list.

Thank you!
  • Quick Links