Explode a shell object

5293   5   1
112 posts
Hi

I want to explode this object.
I wanted it to have a shell with a hollow center.
I have extruded the surface and then fractured it.
When I check the fracture by using the explode node, it shows I still have the object I fractured in the center.
How do I create a shelled object that i can fracture for and exploding animation without the center object?

Thanks
Edited by Ralph Pinel - July 1, 2016 09:04:59

Attachments:
explode.jpg (525.4 KB)
network.jpg (275.5 KB)

2534 posts
I just tried it and it works fine. What I think you are experiencing is simply the viewport representation of the network. Notice the yellow outline around the vornoifracture node. This means that node is selected. So what you are seeing in your viewport is the combination of the final display flag node, in blue, and the selected node which is further up stream.

Try selecting the final node so it is outlined in yellow. Does that remove the center object?

In my image you can see I have selected nodes upstream of the result and they appear in the viewport. However, the final geometry output only comes from the node with the blue display flag active.
Edited by Enivob - July 1, 2016 10:36:46

Attachments:
ap_fracture_exploded_view.hiplc (132.3 KB)
Untitled-1.jpg (342.4 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
112 posts
Hi I thought that in the beginning but it still displayed the center fracture before the explode.
I press on and setup the dynamics, now when I go back it's working. Has to be a refresh issue or something.

Thanks for your help.

I see you used the isooffset as opposed the poly extrude. Is this a better way to do this?

Thanks
Ralph
2534 posts
It is not really better, just another option. Try turning it on an off, you'll see the difference.

When the isooffset is off the fracture thinks of the shape as essentially being hollow so in this case of the sphere each fracture will travel to the center and form a spike. When the isooffset is on the fracture will think of it as a solid shape and create fracture chunks inside the volume interior as well.
Edited by Enivob - July 1, 2016 14:37:12
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
112 posts
Thanks for the help. Good to have more option, never know when you might need a different route.

Thanks Enivob.
90 posts
Not sure if this is what you were after and it's a bit late…but this has hollowed out the fractures with interior pieces not being present. So more like a shell fracture. You'd have to be a little deliberate with the face delete, but may be a solution.

Attachments:
ap_fracture_exploded_view.hiplc (142.3 KB)

• Quick Links